Airfix 1/24 Spitfire

JCote

Hi Jean,

Totally understand about the posting...I do much the same unless I have new piccies. Feels less like you're trying to hog the limelight :unsure: sort of?

Really enjoying seeing you work this way. I'm sure Derek must be watching with interest as well as it has the potential to circumvent a lot of work. I recall something from that nerdy movie National Treasure. I think Nick Cage says something about Thomas Edison trying upteen different ways to make a light bulb...all but the last one failing. I think he put it like he found 1000 ways 'not' to make a light bulb...he found only one that worked.

Surely we learn more and get better satisfaction from trying a 1000 ways that fail...besides, in knowing what can go wrong surely this will be of assistance when you're stepping outside the box with the technique when you come to design something else?

Bravo for the perseverence and I'm fascinated by the techniques you're showing us.

Cheers Matty

• 3 weeks later...

Wings seem to be the order of the day lately, in particular with Derek working his usual magic over on his Tempest thread.

Here's a "first draft" of a fiberglass wing for my Spitfire. As my appeal for advice in my last post went unanswered ( :( ), I did some research on the web and found quite a bit of useful information (eg here). I was especially lucky that Paul Monforton, author of my Spitfire bible, very kindly sent me a long e-mail with tons of advice based on his long experience as an RC modeller. I'll post a blow-by-blow in my blog this week-end, but here are some piccies of my first attempt. I have to confess that I'm pretty pleased. Despite a number of mistakes on my part, the two halves mate up well, the wing has the requisite spanwise "camber" when viewed from the front, and the difference in angle of incidence between root and tip is visible in side-view. Still much to be done (spar, ribs, wheel well, radiator recess, etc)..

post-917-1211013122.jpg post-917-1211013133.jpg post-917-1211013160.jpg

I'd never heard of vacuum-bagging before Paul's e-mail. It's really the cat's meaow: the resulting wing halves are tough, have sufficient though not excessive flex, with a thickness of less than 1mm.

post-917-1211013212.jpg

Thanks for looking

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the compliment. I'm hardly an expert, given that I've only recently heard about the technique, let alone used it, but the idea is to create a vacuum to press the wetted (I used epoxy resin) fiberglass matting hard against the mould, thus squeezing out excess resin and air bubbles. RC guys swear by the method because it results in lighter, structurally stronger parts. I used it to achieve uniform thickness over the part and to obtain maximum strength for the thinnest possible shell. The link above gives a pretty good intro.

Best, Jean

Jean,

Have I told you how much I hate you lately? :( You have really hit a new plateau in skills and ability. This is wonderful work. Im hoping you'll leave a link to your blog so I can read it, then steal everything you do. Like I said, This will be the mother of all Spitfires...Magnificent my friend...

Cheers,

Geoff

Hi Jean,

I read this thread for the first time Friday evening, then had to go have a lie down, what can I say that hasn't already been said? Mindnumbingly superb work, like the blog too, and do you have the Monforton book, if so what do you think?

Kevin and Kagemusha, thanks for the encouragement, it means a lot to me. Kagemusha, I've got the Monforton book and it's quite simply mind-boggling. If you're a Spit fan, I can only urge you to get it: as an engineering reference, there's nothing like it (and no, I have no stake in the company, just a bowled-over customer)

Best regards,

Jean

• 3 weeks later...

Christian, à tes ordres! And Texas, thanks for your comment.

Not that much to report really. Everything is progressing ok but just seems to take so much time. Here are the internals of the wing, a brass spar with ribs 5, 8 and 12 and two apertures, one for the UC and the other for the MG.

post-917-1212904601.jpg

To my great relief, the spar and ribs fit snuggly inside the two wing halves.

post-917-1212904708.jpg

View of bottom of lower wing, with 0.01 mm brass sheet inlay containing cut-out for the UC leg. Rib 5 forms the outboard wall of the radiator recess.

post-917-1212904753.jpg

There will be a similar inlay in the top half to accomodate the UC bossing (the mk XVIe had the thicker three-spoke wheel).

post-917-1212904834.jpg

There are (or will be) more details on my blog.

Hope everyone is well and busy with their modelling.

Jean

Jean,

Truely amazing engineering work there Jean (it goes way beyond normal modelling realms). I like your approach to the wing construction - it's probably stronger than the real thing! I shall stay tuned.

Cheers

Derek

Cheers Derek, I'm looking forward to the next instalment of your own wing, though these things do take time (the voice of experience here).

Edgar, I have been trying for the longest time to come up with photographic evidence for my Spit (Stocky Edward's high back Mk XVI as she was in April 1945). Not having to put in the blister would cut down on work for me, but I can't shake the feeling that at some point I've seen late-wartime photos of XVIs with bulge and 3-spoke wheels. On the other hand, the Wings and Wheels book featuring a Czech Mk IX LF in its original condition supports your assertion. Maybe somebody out there has a relevant photo? (perhaps Brian, to whom I am indebted for pointing me towards Edward's plane?)

P.S. To amend the above statement, it's the bulge I'm fairly sure I've seen on wartime photos, and perhaps i assumed the three-spoke wheels from that.