F-86 Ejection seat

What is the ejection seat in the Sabre?

I was trying to look for specifics, found nothing. My books are far from me currently, so I cannot check and the web is giving me nada.

My guess is that it was based on German research that got to the US at the end of the WWII.

P.S.

I was listening to JRE this morning and his conversation with Mike Baker was rather amusing especially when he started talking 'bout MiG-15.

So this is allegedly some CIA guy who is very "knowledgeable". Been a guest at JRE several times now.

Now things became interesting when he said that he was taken for a ride in MiG-15UTi and then started blabbing that in MiG-15 there were no ejection seats in the Korean War. If you wanna have fun, listen to that. it was in the first half hour. That guy gives the expression that he knows stuff. Listening to his aviation comments changed my mind drastically.

4 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

Joe Rogan Experience.

Any comments on the ejection seat please?

Sorry to have taken this OT, the fact that you devoted more text prattling on about JRE and issues completely unrelated the F-86’s ejection seat(s) must have caused me to misunderstand the intent of your post.  

Hopefully you’ll get the help you need.   

The original seat was a North American design, but later some nations replaced the North American seat with Martn Baker Mk. 5 (they had the metal pans on the side of the parachute pack, so looking a lot like Mk.4s).  Among them was the Royal Norwegian Air Force that started replacing them in 1959/60.

I’m guessing the answer depends on when.  NAA employed bespoke company seats even after MB exploded onto the scene.  The Vigilante was equipped with NAA seats until the end of its days (I think) while its contemporaries used mostly MB seats.  So the type of seat in the Sabre you model may be either OEM or truly an aftermarket item.  Like the man said, a photo is going to be worth a thousand words.  BTW, have you been to the Ejection Site on line yet?  There is a wealth of information and photos there.

I guess I am interested in the very first versions. My assumption would be the same case as with the MiG-15 ejection seat, which is based on He-162 design.

Since both F-86 and MiG-15 wings are developed thanx to the inherited research materials, I would expect that the NA seat would be the same.

The original NAA F-86 seat and most seats for that era used an explosive  cartridge or cartridges to eject the seat from the aircraft. They were not rocket assisted as later seats were. Later seats use a combination of both cartridges to initiate the ejection sequence of moving the seat up the rails and then at approx 3 feet of upwards travel the lanyard initiates the rocket pack providing a better operational envelope for the seat to work. It would not surprise me if some of the captured German data flowed through to the US aircraft manufactures as Martin Baker would not have shared any data at that time.Some of the early US seats look similar to some of the German seats and especially in the way they operated.

As a rule of thumb you can consider that ejection seat standardization did not develop in the US before the sixties. Before that period all US manufacturer teams produced their own design of ejection seats. Actually, it was UK that was the leading actor in western ejection seat standardization, thanks to Martin Baker. The technology developped by Germany was obviously recycled in western countries and Soviet Union but the seats were noticeably different.

You also might want to look at the early Vought seats.  Their Cutlass borrowed heavily from German research so they may have done the same with the seat.  It’s a pretty complicated jungle gym kind of thing not all that different from some of the NAA seats.

2 hours ago, Mark_C said:

Not much info who designed it and based on what. I saw that before I posted the topic.

Interestingly, to me it seems that both sides F-86 and MiG-15 used technology not previously embedded in their designs on various levels /in this case I was interested in the seats/. They kept it very secret obviously, since serious depiction of the research and design is still missing, which lead me to only one conclusion - it was with German origins.

13 minutes ago, Eagle Driver said:

Not much info who designed it and based on what. I saw that before I posted the topic.

Interestingly, to me it seems that both sides F-86 and MiG-15 used technology not previously embedded in their designs on various levels /in this case I was interested in the seats/. They kept it very secret obviously, since serious depiction of the research and design is still missing, which lead me to only one conclusion - it was with German origins.

If you'd made your requirements clear at the outset that would have been helpful.  Good luck finding what you want.