Spitfire XIV Lowback Conundrum??

Aviacom

Hi Lads,

Ive got conundrum going on upstairs, as follows;

Ive got a Grey Matter Spitfire XIV Low Back Conversion set, which I KNoW is for the Hasegawa Spitfire Vb kit (Which I’ve also got), but, here’s the thinking and indecision, I’ve also got two of the beautiful Tamiya Spitfire XVI’s as well, as a bunch of aftermarket for them.

What I’d like to know, is, is it doable with that conversion set to use it on one of the Tamiya 16’s? Or best to just use it on the Hasegawa kit it was designed for?

I ask, because I’d truly love to go ‘all out’ on a low back 14, and have it as detailed as I could get it hence why I thought about using the Tamiya 16 as a basis as for detail it’s 2/3rds of the way there already, plus the aftermarket Ive already got for it then takes it to the ultimate level I think.

I know there’s a lot to do on the old Hasegawa kit, rescribing, riveting, starting from scratch with the cockpit , etc.

Apart from the different chord rudder, retractable tail wheel, and the bloody great Griffon up front, is there much difference between the the 14 and 16?

Ive probably opened a can of worms with this, but thought I’d ask as it’s the next one on the bench.

Help!

Alas the two kits have noticeably different front fuselage cross-sections. So this does not look like an easy solution. Unfortunately noone released a Griffon nose compatible with the Tamiya kits (up to now). Check with callipers some reference points and you will see that you have between 0.5 and 1mm of difference !

Although not a bubbletop Spitfire, i did a similar conversion using the RB Griffon nose with the Tamiya Spitfire VIII kit. 

As Thierry mentioned, the Tamiya kit is narrower but I was able to shim it and blend the two together. The bigger challenge I found was the lower cowl/wing leading edge.  There is a build thread on here somewhere for it. 

Here's a recent pic. 

IMG_20180917_223550-600x450.jpg

One other option may be to use a PCM Spitfire XIV and cut down the aft fuselage. 

Iconicair supposedly has a Griffon conversion in the works the Tamiya kit.  Here's hoping he still does .

Carl

2 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Hasegawa and PCM kits have the same cross-sections.

That sadly is wrong - the fuselage sides are vertical rather than sloping inwards as you go down to the wing. 

I am planning this conversion as well a Mk XII using the Paragon nose that I have and a Mk IX. 

The only thing to work out is whether to Cut and Shut or sand to the correct cross section. 

As Radu said in another thread if you can handle the original conversion this should not be too hard

On 10/10/2021 at 10:33 PM, BloorwestSiR said:

Although not a bubbletop Spitfire, i did a similar conversion using the RB Griffon nose with the Tamiya Spitfire VIII kit. 

As Thierry mentioned, the Tamiya kit is narrower but I was able to shim it and blend the two together. The bigger challenge I found was the lower cowl/wing leading edge.  There is a build thread on here somewhere for it. 

Here's a recent pic. 

IMG_20180917_223550-600x450.jpg

One other option may be to use a PCM Spitfire XIV and cut down the aft fuselage. 

Iconicair supposedly has a Griffon conversion in the works the Tamiya kit.  Here's hoping he still does .

Carl

Somewhere lurking in my stash is a Cammett lo-back conversion to turn the PCM Mk IX into a Mk XVI, made redundant by the Tamiya Mk XVI.

I'd hazard a guess it'd fit the PCM Mk XIV, if one can be found.