ICM 1/35 CH-54?

Dave Williams

The 64F are rebuilt CH-54Bs, which were built with the twin wheels.  The 64E are rebuilt -54A models

Wikipedia says only one S-64 is a new build by Erickson, all the rest are rebuilt military CH-54A and -54B models, and the few civilian S-64s built by Sikorsky back in the day.  Anyone know if this is true?

18 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Thank you for the information 

Would it be difficult for you to fabricate the bubble side windows? I’ve seen the magic you’ve done with clear resin. This seems to be the biggest hurdle in the conversion. Of course, ICM might just be releasing the civilian versions!

Cheers,  Tom

6 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Would it be difficult for you to fabricate the bubble side windows? I’ve seen the magic you’ve done with clear resin. This seems to be the biggest hurdle in the conversion. Of course, ICM might just be releasing the civilian versions!

Cheers,  Tom

SIMPLE ANSWER TOM…..YES IT WILL BE TRICKY not impossible to make the side windows. From the pictures that I have found it seems the two bulged side windows MAY be slightly different to each other, well on some aircraft…. Some seem to have an ‘open’ bottom to the bubble, it would be great if some one has some definitive pictures / information.

5 hours ago, Uncarina said:

Heli-Scale-Quality make the side windows in 1/32 and 1/35 scale for 2 Euros: https://heli-scale-quality.de/Rotor-distance-355-to-450-mm/Sikorsky-S-64F-Skycrane-CH-54:::49_111.html?language=en

The link shown is for the 1/32 version but you can email them to specify 1/35.

Cheers,  Tom

price seems reasonable but shape and size just does not look correct at all, also remember these need to fit the ICM KIT, and in essence need to fit within the kit side windows, so I am not convinced this will be a good option. 
I am curious about the decals though, I am just not sure if the white areas are printed and I want / need to check that the font styles are correct, I am sure they are but I need to put a niggle to rest.

Great points Ali. An additional question I have is if the white is printed, how is the color density? Another argument for making a masking sheet perhaps in addition to applying markings over all those rivets. Meanwhile, I will be looking out for detailed photos of those side windows.

Cheers,  Tom

I just realized that the 1:1 version of this thing is built inside out - the airframe  is a simple keel structure in the middle with all the innards you’d expect to be inside stitched to the outside instead.  No secrets here.  ICM seems to have done a pretty good job of rendering it considering the limited availability of airframes to poke and prod.  It’s a very worthy adversary for those of us with limited rotary wing knowledge and skills.   No idea where I will park it.

I just placed an order with Heli-Scale-Quality for their S-64E - Erickson Air-Crane - N164AC decal sheet and two sets of side windows. I’ll keep you posted! https://heli-scale-quality.de/Rotor-distance-355-to-450-mm/Sikorsky-S-64F-Skycrane-CH-54:::49_111.html?language=en

Cheers,  Tom

21 hours ago, Uncarina said:

A day in the life of an Erickson crew chief: 

Cheers,  Tom

Wow.  This is one first class operation.  The ground bound support is a wonder in itself.  Wonder how many guys are rated to fly this thing - can’t be very many these days.

3 hours ago, Oldbaldguy said:

Ooooo!  I am so very tempted even tho it goes against my principles.  Did I miss how much the set will cost?

I don’t think that was posted.  My guess is it would be in the high $30 range.  Their stuff isn’t cheap but IMO, it’s well worth it.