1/16 scale Boxer reconnaissance vehicle

GMK

More substantial update, this week. 

After 256 hours, the front end of the hull is done. 

iBipFVk.jpg

The raw print is pretty large. 

gV87ACM.jpg

After some cleanup, it was connected with the back end. 

pTJ9TVC.jpg

Another view:

YbqhtQQ.jpg

With a CNC-milled kit from Germany designed for RC:

yiM0UmE.jpg

So, that’s the largest & longest of the prints out of the way. 

Had a minor tweak in the appliqué armour. Before/after, below:

MmJFCqL.jpg

The design process continues. 

eF1byrK.jpg

HbcsWOK.jpg

Thanks for looking in!

Edited by GMK

Well, imagine my surprise when checking the references for the surface details that I discovered that the front end of the truck changed between the trial (“RMA”) & the first deliveries (“Block 1”). 

hMIVVuX.jpg

Luckily I hadn’t spent 11 days printing the front end. Whoopse!

Wow. Amazing project. I'd recently see a picture of one a mate had taken when it was on a trailer going somewhere. I had thought the rear door for troops was too small but he did say it was bigger than it looked as the entire vehicle was massive.

Love your project. I'm familiar with inventor but I haven't tried Fusion360.  Are you making individual parts and then turning them into assemblies within the CAD? 

I tried designing a large hobby spray booth in Galvabond.  I found getting the centres of fixture holes in various parts tricky to align and snap together to form assemblies. Something to do with bends and how that changes alignment from the extruded 2D part.

Thanks for posting your updates. It looks awesome.

Cheers Matty

On 1/30/2022 at 1:30 PM, Uncarina said:

Go man go! This must be one advantage of your complete scratchbuild: you have more flexibility. In any case this build is amazing.

Cheers,  Tom

Thanks, Tom. You’re 100% right, you own the design, but you also own the mistakes lol. 

On 1/31/2022 at 12:21 AM, LSP_Matt said:

Wow. Amazing project. I'd recently see a picture of one a mate had taken when it was on a trailer going somewhere. I had thought the rear door for troops was too small but he did say it was bigger than it looked as the entire vehicle was massive.

Love your project. I'm familiar with inventor but I haven't tried Fusion360.  Are you making individual parts and then turning them into assemblies within the CAD? 

I tried designing a large hobby spray booth in Galvabond.  I found getting the centres of fixture holes in various parts tricky to align and snap together to form assemblies. Something to do with bends and how that changes alignment from the extruded 2D part.

Thanks for posting your updates. It looks awesome.

Cheers Matty

G’day Matty, thanks for taking the time to comment. Yeah, I’ve tried both ways of design. As I’m a n00b, I find that I make fewer errors when I have a parent design with parts derived from that. I do have issues translating from CAD to CAM as the 3D printer’s tolerances are larger than those in Fusion360. Need to do more learning. 

Had my first work trip overseas since the bad times last weekend. Certainly a different experience. 

Refining the turret base to see what the print will look like has resulted in this. 

wF6We60.jpg

The details will be done on the resin printer. 

jL01lsb.jpg

When dumped in the slicer, it’ll be positioned thusly. 

eb9G64j.jpg

It’s a lot smaller than the hull. 

5FFqbaR.jpg

A lot shorter print time, too. ‘Only’ 101 hours!

Thanks for dropping in, please keep the comments coming. 

• 2 weeks later...

Back onto surface detailing this week, focussing on the bosses that affix the appliqué armour to the hull, as well as the bolts surrounding the forward fairings.

PIxe1F8.jpg

Previous work on locating the recesses for the bosses paid off. There’s two types of bosses - these were drawn up, then copied into the recesses. 

eaaRk93.jpg

Like physical models, surface detailing can be both tedious & rewarding. 

Once the detailing is completed, higher resolution printing will commence. 

Thanks for stopping by. 

• 4 weeks later...

A while between updates. The war in Ukraine has affected my motivation, as has some serious print quality issues. 

On the things I can control, I’ve had issues with poor design, print bed adhesion (the print sticking to the bed over a >300 hour print), poor quality filament (same brand, somehow poorer quality), and hot end erosion (the part that extrudes 1.75mm filament at .4mm diameter. 

The score so far is two back end prints and three front end prints, with a fourth in progress. I’m not counting “failed prints”. 

One of each end was scrapped due to poor design - I conflated the tolerances of the CAD with the capabilities of my printer. The second back end is excellent, the other two front ends exhibited curling around the edges. 

First, the design. Initially the joint between the front & rear was a joggle that followed a hull contour (left). Difficulty mating the front & rear led to a redesign of flat surfaces (right). 
tReuKeM.jpg

This redesign led to an own goal - a massive heat sink on the print bed that, when paired with poor bed adhesion, induced curling around the edges. 

RiodD7X.jpg

79NEZaF.jpg

Even with 5mm of stand-off, the curling affected the body of the print itself. 

So, the design was further tweaked to make the alignment peg integral to the front end, which added 25mm of stand-off to the print. Further, the slicer settings were changed to include a “brim”, which increases contact surface with the printer bed. Lastly, the hot end, printer bed cover, & filament was replaced. Fingers crossed!

wKfXW5T.jpg

Hopefully these changes will result in a useable front end. At 11-14 days per print, this is getting time consuming!

Thanks for checking in. 

On 3/16/2022 at 10:48 AM, LSP_Ray said:

Good luck!

Thanks, Ray. Only 3.5 days to go!

Well, first paint is on. I use an automotive high-build primer to fill between the striations left from the printer.

snYzheM.jpg

Most of the upper surfaces are masked as they’ll be covered by appliqué & I want to keep the mating surfaces clean. 

Part of version 6 of the front hull was merging the alignment peg with the hull front, as well as elongating the four supports to get the stand off from the heated printer bed. 

0TVoFdr.jpg

Circled in red, these will be removed once the print is complete. They’ve been chamfered to make this easier. 

0HLWoCP.jpg

Looking forward to getting a basic hull together. 

Edited by GMK

Hello GKM

I've not been active for a while and have just spotted this thread, great stuff so far, I'm waiting for a 1/35 injection moulded kit, so watching your 1/16 print versoin is so interesting

Also what happened to your Bushmaster thread? i cant see it, did you finish it?

rob

8 hours ago, Robthepom said:

Hello GKM

I've not been active for a while and have just spotted this thread, great stuff so far, I'm waiting for a 1/35 injection moulded kit, so watching your 1/16 print versoin is so interesting

Also what happened to your Bushmaster thread? i cant see it, did you finish it?

rob

Thanks Rob.

A 1/35 kit would be most welcome. Revell’s version isn’t the easiest build & is a flat top. 

Bushmaster is here: 

There’s a little bit of work left on it, but it’s 95-98% done.