Another Hasegawa FW190. I FIXED IT!

Woody V

8 hours ago, Citadelgrad said:

How fine of abrasive paper do you have?  I have some micro pads that go to 12000, that and then some toothpaste or novis polich and you should be good.  

That's the route I'm going to take and I've got the entire range of Micro Mesh and I've just ordered the Novis Polish kit. I've polished clear acrylic so I understand the procedure. I just hope that Future will feather out otherwise there will be a visible edge. 

3 hours ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Bad luck, Woody..........if you need a new canopy let me know. I have an extra or two. 

What are friends for if not this?

Cheers,

Damian

I'm afraid removing the canopy is out of the question. I glued it on real good because I didn't want ip popping off when I pulled the masking off. I'm confident that I can polish it out. The real bummer is that I have to spend time monkeying with this instead of gluing a few bits on (including those sweet SOW landing gears) and calling it done.

Live and learn, I guess.

8 hours ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

That's the route I'm going to take and I've got the entire range of Micro Mesh and I've just ordered the Novis Polish kit. I've polished clear acrylic so I understand the procedure. I just hope that Future will feather out otherwise there will be a visible edge. 

I'd be interested in how the novus works for you.  People swear by it but I've never tried it, knock on wood. 

Sorry to see your canopy woes

i think the only positive for this is to serve as a public advisory of why dipping your canopies is really not a wonderful idea

in terms of solutions, Windex / other ammonia based solutions will strip Future; I would test on a mule what it does to your paint job.

i would also think you may be able to wrench off the canopy depending upon how it was attached, and at least that allows you to concentrate on the area at hand, without fretting about the bodywork

hope you get it sorted

best wishes

Nick

1 hour ago, MikeMaben said:

Why ? Mask the frames and airbrush it on in multiple thin layers.

I have never had any luck spraying Future straight from the bottle and I've wondered if it can be thinned with something. Suggestion?

35 minutes ago, nmayhew said:

Sorry to see your canopy woes

i think the only positive for this is to serve as a public advisory of why dipping your canopies is really not a wonderful idea

in terms of solutions, Windex / other ammonia based solutions will strip Future; I would test on a mule what it does to your paint job.

i would also think you may be able to wrench off the canopy depending upon how it was attached, and at least that allows you to concentrate on the area at hand, without fretting about the bodywork

hope you get it sorted

best wishes

Nick

I've never seen that much difference in dipping canopies, but now that I see what happens when it hits lacquer I'm done. Without Future, if you get lacquer on the clear, you can simply clean it off with any number of solvents. 

My first attempt will be to polish it out. If the Future doesn't feather smoothly, I'll have to strip it and go from there.

Removing the canopy is out of the question. This build isn't that important to me, so if it's not "perfect" I don't care. It's not a showpiece, nor is it cement-block-drop-slow-motion-video worthy. 

The lesson learned here was worth the time spent and I'm moving on.

7 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Use the 91% stuff, it's alot quicker.  I always attach canopies with water soluable glue.

Good luck Woody.

Great, I've got 91% and will give it a go. Yea, I sure learned a valuable lesson on this canopy fiasco. It's PVA if I ever do another closed canopy. 

PVA glues don't usually have a whole lot of 'grunt', so whilst they *can* work, remember if you want something that isn't going to fly off if you sneeze within 50 feet of it, just use non-blooming CA glue.

There are many types / brands out there.

HTH