What’s the latest on Gabreski’s last P47D underside color?

I am nearing paint on my 47D, Col. Gabreski’s last ride in the war.   

i know there is debate over the underside color.  I think its agreed it was either RAF ocean grey (or medium sea grey, they arent in front of me but the lighter of these) or NMF.  

I have looked at the photos, and, yes, the tail gear doors might be reflective, leaning toward NMF, but i am at a loss. 

i already misstepped by adding a corrugated cockpit floor floor because my initial research was superseded by new information.  

i am not really set on either NMF or the grey, but wondered what the latest consensus is.  I did find a build log of a guy who built one for a museum, and he planned to do one each way to cover all the bases. 

thanks. 

Bill

Edited by Citadelgrad
Added to title to clarify

• Citadelgrad changed the title to What’s the latest on Gabreski’s last P47D underside color?

I don’t think you’ll get a 100%, iron-clad, bulletproof answer to that question.  Go with what you think looks best.  FWIW, I fall in the Medium Sea Gray camp, based on a conversation I had with the man himself.

Edited by Joe Hegedus

After careful examination of the "evidences" I chose a NMF underside except for the cowling. Rationale:

1) I'm pretty sure the lower poetion of the main landing gear doors are NMF

2) you can see the "A" reflecting on the tailwheel left door

3) These planes, originally all NMF, were painted on the field primarily to lower visibility while on the ground. Made sense not to paint the underside 

img_8812.jpg

I’m not even close to being an expert on this subject but Warbird’s theory makes sense.  The undersides of piston aircraft are typically filthy.  I can’t see a hard working ground crew scrubbing all that grime and crawling in the mud to spray the under surfaces.   Also kinda pointless given the attention-getting invasion stripes plastered all over those surfaces.  

Nice looking model btw.  

On 7/12/2021 at 10:27 AM, Warbird said:

After careful examination of the "evidences" I chose a NMF underside except for the cowling. Rationale:

1) I'm pretty sure the lower poetion of the main landing gear doors are NMF

2) you can see the "A" reflecting on the tailwheel left door

3) These planes, originally all NMF, were painted on the field primarily to lower visibility while on the ground. Made sense not to paint the underside 

img_8812.jpg

Well, that's a pretty impressive finish.  Thanks for your input and the photo of your Jug.  Awesome effects.