Lockheed L-1011 Tristar "Aeroperu" [1:144 Eastern Express] - RFI

Alex

It is looking good, even with the paint issues. To keep that from happening, I always try and remove masks as soon as possible after airbrushing. Masks will cut through the paint much more cleanly when the paint has not cured yet.

1 hour ago, LSP_Ray said:

It is looking good, even with the paint issues. To keep that from happening, I always try and remove masks as soon as possible after airbrushing. Masks will cut through the paint much more cleanly when the paint has not cured yet.

And that's the funny thing - I pulled the "AeroPeru" mask off not 15 minutes after painting (for exactly the reason you state, plus impatience).  And paint came off with it.  I think it must have been something greasy I got on the white layer and failed to clean off.

Masked up to try & fix the stripes on the port side.  Starboard side is good enough I decided to leave it alone.

pm3xs3Mvj

I wiped it down with soapy water beforehand to remove anything greasy.

After:

pnxqUhgVj

Maybe not perfect but definitely better.  I'll wait a day and then decide if I'm going to try and repaint the AreoPeru logos (both sides are bad) or give the decals a shot.

I opted for the decal route to address the logos.  It worked out OK - the decal over paint results in a darker red, but it's similar to the darker red accent on the rudder, so it's not visually disruptive, even if perhaps not optimally accurate.  Overall this was an OK kit to build - no more than the expected amount of "proper modeling" for a short-run kit, with the overly deep and wide panel lines being probably the most obvious issue - a more ambitious modeler than I might have filled them in and re-scribed much finer lines.

I used a combo of the AM Nazca decals and the kit decals, and both performed quite nicely - no issues/complaints.

pmxQqJKvj

pn0yo3S5j

One thing I clearly did do wrong was to put the gray/white border too high up on the fuselage, which led to the red stripe being too high up and running afoul of the cockpit windows.  Nothing to do about it now...

pm5GR88Ej

pmDTc70nj

pnWtALnyj

pm9yM2o2j

The variation in metallic tones on the engine nacelles doesn't *exactly* match the photos I saw, but I think it does give a good impression of the way they are - zonally different in shade and luster from front to back.

pnis9twgj

pmTOSjAvj

pnzDDlykj

po4E3Ekyj

pm7K2teoj

pmFvHdFXj

po3XAWRuj

And importantly, with this wrapped up the decks are now officially clear to start the next warbird model for the Target for Today GB.

• Alex changed the title to Lockheed L-1011 Tristar "Aeroperu" [1:144 Eastern Express] - RFI
3 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

That looks fantastic, Alex! Congrats on another super build.

Kev

Thanks Kev.  I’m already chewing over what the next 1:144 build should be.  Thinking perhaps a small prop liner since I’ve done a couple of big jets recently.  Going to hold off until I’ve got some good traction on my GB Airacobra though - too confusing to start two projects in parallel...

31 minutes ago, Alex said:

Thanks Kev.  I’m already chewing over what the next 1:144 build should be.  Thinking perhaps a small prop liner since I’ve done a couple of big jets recently.

I wouldn't recommend the Minicraft Electra!

Kev