D558 Skystreak Jetmads

X15

1 hour ago, aircommando130 said:

Awesome! Love those old rocket research plane! I like it together with the X-1. 

Surprised nobody has 3D printed a conversion for the X-1 to the X-1E. I like a 

lot of others have the cutting edge decal set for it!

Cheers...Ron

Thanks a lot Ron, i love this plane and this aera of speed !! i am looking for the Cutting Edge conversion but it no longer exist... it's great you had the decal set t think it no longer exist too ?  i bought a revell X1 to make my own X1E one day ;) 

Edited by X15

I don't think Cutting Edge actually got to the X-1E conversion. Decals are long OOP! 

Growing up at Edwards I went to school with Robert White's (X-15 pilot) son and daughter

and our next door neighbor on dads 2nd tour at Edwards was Jerry Gentry the lifting body pilot.

Cheers...Ron 

13 hours ago, aircommando130 said:

I don't think Cutting Edge actually got to the X-1E conversion. Decals are long OOP! 

Growing up at Edwards I went to school with Robert White's (X-15 pilot) son and daughter

and our next door neighbor on dads 2nd tour at Edwards was Jerry Gentry the lifting body pilot.

Cheers...Ron 

Oh my god !!!!! It's incredible to have lived near these people who lived crazy things !!! :bow:

9 hours ago, Violator1991 said:

Fantastic finish! It's not a model you see everyday and you have absolutely nailed it!! Congratulations for such a lovely model and thanks for sharing it.

Thanks a lot !!! 

On 3/29/2021 at 10:52 AM, aircommando130 said:

Cheers...Ron 

Cutting Edge DID make the X-1E conversion; I had one! Sold it to somebody...They did not finish the separate X-1E cockpit, though.

I had read somewhere that the red colour was soon changed to white, to ensure better tracking of the ground cameras recording the flight. If somebody asked me which colour would be more detectable in the air, red or white, I would definitely say "red".  And definitely that must be what the Douglas engineers thought, too. Interesting that white makes a better contrast than red in the sky...

Anyway, it is a good thing that they have chosen red first. We now have a very spectacular red early jet in aviation history books :)

What a gorgeous build of a unique aircraft. And it was interesting to see the approach Jetmads took to producing a kit, and how you built it. Outstanding work!! 

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka