Now HK is releasing B-17F in 48th scale

Lancman

I’m guessing the. 48 17 and Lanc will be popular with US and UK markets among others more so than a 32nd scale kit

Then as mentioned they could do a B 26 or one of many other 2 engine 1/32 and 4 engine 1/48 on people’s want list

Edited by Pup7309

13 hours ago, aircommando130 said:

Got one on order...."Knockout Dropper"! Have the 32nd one as well to build..."knockout Dropper"

Cheers...Ron

Me too! “Memphis Belle” in my case, to go along with my 1/32 “Little Miss Mischief” which WILL get completed!

Cheers,  Tom

Yes, with all the variations possible only detail oriented modelers, like some modelers who frequent forums such as this one, would be put off by not having the particular version they want. We are not the majority of possible modelers who would want a particular odd version.

A large proportion of model manufacturers know that the average buyers of kits are gift givers, like relatives who buy kits for children at holidays, like birthdays, Christmas, when the child brings home a good school grade report card, when the lover, husband, brother etc., wishes he wants it, etc.

Take your blinders off, we are not the only customers.  

The manufacturers know that they can make a few  variations (i.e. the 1/32 B-25) and have a good, salable product.

Face it, the world does not revolve around us.

Also, nowadays aftermarket manufacturers can soon come out with alternate parts to cover the different versions. 

And some modelers can create the different parts they want; its called scratch building.

11 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

HK has entertained the idea.  The problem with the B-24 is that no matter which version (of the mind-numbingly gigantic number of versions) they do, it will be the "wrong" version.  The number of alternative parts, modular tools, etc that it would take to cater for all the variants, sub-variants, sub-sub-variants, and on and on to accurately do the B-24 is staggering.  There were almost no two that looked alike once they started putting nose turrets on them.

The variants would be D and J  with a few turret options (including a stinger tail gun? for L version) If HK scaled up the Hasegawa kit and added detail to replace the decades old Monogram then I think 99% of model makers would be happy. As mentioned everything else is aftermarket or ‘on desk’ modifications. 

So please keep entertaining the idea HK!  Looking at the Lanc it’s great to see the quality, without the HB type ‘clangers’, and I’m very tempted...and maybe an ‘e’ version of B 17

Edited by Pup7309

1 hour ago, Jennings Heilig said:

That's true.  But what should he do?  D? H? J? The differences are massive, and would (unlike the B-17 which is about 80% common no matter what variant you're looking at) require massive investment in tooling.  Believe me, Neil has looked at it.  Just not realistic given his limited resources.

The nose on the B-24 is where the main differences are - perhaps, like the Hasegawa 1/72nd kits you could have a 'standard' rear fuselage and wing up to the rear cockpit bulkhead, and then do a separate nose for the D-model and J-model with the Emerson nose turrets. 

This would leave the majority of B-24 modellers happy I'm sure - those that want to convert to later, enclosed waist gun versions, early tail turret for the Ds as well as the H-model and later nose configurations could, theoretically, be covered by clever converting or possible later releases from HK. The after-market companies could have a go at the later top turret, nose windows etc. relatively easily. If you have a decent Consolidated rear turret x 2 in the kit this can be used for early J-models, and a decent Emerson nose turret would cover the later Hs, Js, Ls and Ms - admittedly you then get a little more complicated with the bombardier's glazing. 

I'm in complete agreement that for HK to cover all bases would be nigh on impossible, but a new-tooled 1/48th B-24 that covers the D/J would sell like the proverbial hot-cake I imagine. This would, I imagine (not that I have any experience in this whatsoever,) mean the aftermarket guys would have a decent return on their investments if they were to offer conversions.

Edited by tomprobert

10 hours ago, tomprobert said:

The nose on the B-24 is where the main differences are - perhaps, like the Hasegawa 1/72nd kits you could have a 'standard' rear fuselage and wing up to the rear cockpit bulkhead, and then do a separate nose for the D-model and J-model with the Emerson nose turrets. 

This would leave the majority of B-24 modellers happy I'm sure - those that want to convert to later, enclosed waist gun versions, early tail turret for the Ds as well as the H-model and later nose configurations could, theoretically, be covered by clever converting or possible later releases from HK. The after-market companies could have a go at the later top turret, nose windows etc. relatively easily. If you have a decent Consolidated rear turret x 2 in the kit this can be used for early J-models, and a decent Emerson nose turret would cover the later Hs, Js, Ls and Ms - admittedly you then get a little more complicated with the bombardier's glazing. 

I'm in complete agreement that for HK to cover all bases would be nigh on impossible, but a new-tooled 1/48th B-24 that covers the D/J would sell like the proverbial hot-cake I imagine. This would, I imagine (not that I have any experience in this whatsoever,) mean the aftermarket guys would have a decent return on their investments if they were to offer conversions.

Exactly! Have an interchangeable nose and everything else mentioned. Then AM for most differences- the rest you’ll have to cut and scratch or live with it.

Win win for builder and HK - they will be a good return $.