mozart

1 hour ago, mpk said:

Fantastic. I don't know if there is a 1/32 typhoon. Certainly a 1/32 tempest is possible.

There’s the old Revell one Dale, and the MDC one which I have in the stash.  It could be the Typhoon actually because research yesterday evening has shown that in the brief couple of months that 56 Squadron flew Spitfires, they were in fact MkIXLFs with the clipped wings. I have no idea how hard/easy or complicated it might be to adapt the Tamiya kit to an LF, ideas please experts? 

Edited by mozart

48 minutes ago, mozart said:

I have no idea how hard/easy or complicated it might be to adapt the Tamiya kit to an LF, ideas please experts? 

The terms "LF" and "HF" referred to the particular mark of Merlin fitted, said engines being optimised for low altitude and high altitude work respectively.  The term did not refer to the wings, although LF variants generally used clipped wings, and HF variants the extended variety.

I'll have a dig in my library to come up with the exact Merlin variant for an LF IX.  Having said that, I've not seen any definitive photographs that show significant differences from a "standard" Merlin.   So I suggest use the clipped wingtips, unless you have evidence to the contrary for your machine, and you're good to go.

You could look up your chosen serial here, which gives among other info the variety of engine fitted to each aircraft.  

Edited by MikeC

Thanks for that Mike, useful info. The ORBs specifically mention LF IXs but I’ll do a little more digging using the site! 

So, extract from ORB:

q2ooeK.png

and checking Mike's site for MK517 for example:

vdklbW.png

showing she was built at Castle Bromwich and delivered to 56 Squadron on 2 March 44 fresh from 39 MU and was fitted with a Merlin 66.  Clipped wings...hmmm!  More digging.

The plot thickens!  An extract from the pilot's notes:

JLZIPP.png

There's clearly leeway for full or clipped wings!  Maureen's just arrived in the post.....she was quick!!

Edited by mozart

5 hours ago, fastterry said:

It makes me laugh when I read experienced Spitfire pilot Pierre Clostermann's first encounter with a Typhoon, nearly taking out F hanger having already passed over E hanger and these girls were ferrying Typhoons, Tempests and Mosquitoes around the place seemingly without too much of a problem. The more you read the more respect you have.

TRF

That isn't to say they all didn't have close encounters with fixed objects on their first flights, is it?

Clostermann's first encounters are excellent reading, his exhilaration with the Spitfire (don't forget to put the wheels down when landing), and cautious respect of the Tempest. Good stuff - where's my copy got to?

Was it Joy Lofthouse who had the lovely story of dropping out of the Lanc she had just delivered, and the ground crew waiting for the pilot to appear? Makes me smile every time

Richard 

For a proper diorama one should swallow hard, close your eyes, and build a Barracuda. The Picture Post cover is the iconic image of women in the ATA, and now google's favorite. However... I wonder how the Barracuda would play with Maureen?

Perhaps mpk will chuckle at my mother's view of the Barracuda. Just one of many such diary entries.

Friday, 1st October 1943: I read an article the other day telling the Fleet Air Arm that the only reason they don’t like Barracudas is because they are not accustomed to monoplanes! What utter tripe! Whoever designed the wretched thing must have been having a nightmare.

If any of you have the film "Spitfire" on DVD then Mary Ellis and Joy Lofthouse feature.

Mary at 101 was reunited with a Mk VIII that she delivered during the war and which she had signed at the time.

It still bears her signature to this day.

All now sadly gone but their service should never be forgotten.

Couple of vids of them enjoying taking the controls of a Spitfire again before they passed away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrlTzeFRKs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwU1HRylERU

Edited by PhilB

If the ladies could vote, it would be a landslide for the Spit. They called it a ladies airplane. What is so interesting is that rather than being a derogatory adjective, it became like describing a scalpel as sharp.

Thank you for doing them honor, as far as I can tell they are the first women to get equal pay for equal work. However, allow yourself a laugh.

ACtC-3ck1MDsoDvzWuCDxCMJAQXy2bvvxHhPmglZ

1 hour ago, xcnickcn said:

Thanks mozart. Your project can proceed with all the glamour the figurine implies and it will be great on many levels.

My mother was used in a picture with the Polish Jadwiga Pilsdska. Images had much to say during the war. 

ACtC-3eA6W7MzsC8xJmuwtlz7nHH4Yo225ke-YXN

A lovely photograph on many levels, even the dear old Anson’s wing behind the two girls. Absolutely love it!