Colorized period photos

On 12/29/2020 at 3:20 PM, LSP_Ray said:

To me it all just means if you get somewhere close, no one can prove you wrong.

Agree - have a close starting point, then throw in some wear and tear, and weathering (subject depending of course). Hard to challenge that.

Edited by Pete Roberts

I cant help but think that in years to come, modern colourised photos are only going to make the debate far worse than it already is now. I know people mean well, but if we already can't differentiate between real and colourised, things are only going to get hard to tell apart as editing programs get better. 

Its going to make for some REALLY interesting and long winded debates when any B&W pic can be colourised by a modeller after the fact to prove why the painted things the colours they did. 

Edited by RadBaron

1 hour ago, RadBaron said:

I cant help but think that in years to come, modern colourised photos are only going to make the debate far worse than it already is now. I know people mean well, but if we already can't differentiate between real and colourised, things are only going to get hard to tell apart as editing programs get better. 

Its going to make for some REALLY interesting and long winded debates when any B&W pic can be colourised by a modeller after the fact to prove why the painted things the colours they did. 

Couldn't agree more.

In years to come, there will be photos of 109's adorned with 5 lozenge camo wings, a red fuselage with a painted face over the engine cowling. People will be arguing that it's ridiculous, that in fact everyone knows that 4 lozenge camo was used on Bf 109's up until bright pink Me 262's took over in 1938, three years before the war ended.

4 minutes ago, DeanKB said:

Couldn't agree more.

In years to come, there will be photos of 109's adorned with 5 lozenge camo wings, a red fuselage with a painted face over the engine cowling. People will be arguing that it's ridiculous, that in fact everyone knows that 4 lozenge camo was used on Bf 109's up until bright pink Me 262's took over in 1938, three years before the war ended.

To be honest, I think it would be fun to see a 109 painted up in a WW1 scheme with lozenge camo wings and big personal markings on the side of the fuselage.  Or is that wrong?  ;)

Edited by Dave Williams

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

To be honest, I think it would be fun to see a 109 painted up in a WW1 scheme with lozenge camo wings and big personal markings on the side of the fuselage.  Or is that wrong?  ;)

No, it's not wrong at all! I put some thought into that....

16 minutes ago, LSP_Mike said:

A 109 in the colors of either Von Richtofen...

Speaking of which, I watched "The Red Baron" last night. Lame movie, but some killer Albatros schemes. How many of those were actually accurate or not, I have no clue.