Trouble sourcing Paint

ivanmoe

With so much time on my hands, I decided to start building model planes again.

However, I've run into a bit of a problem finding paint.

Seems like a lot of suppliers are out of the acrylics that I'm looking for, Tamiya being the exception.

However, Tamiya doesn't offer MOST of the colors/shades that I'm looking for. :(

Any hints as to how source paints for model planes?

Thanks,

-Moe

First, thanks to everyone that's responded.

I live in Central Texas, but do most of my shopping online.

The problem with availability appears to be pandemic related, as so many items are cited as being out-of-stock.

In the way of history, I was an enamel user.

However, that's become an increasingly difficult medium to find/use.

Beyond that, I just felt like I needed to transition to acrylics completely.

That's not to say that I really trust acrylic, I should add, insofar as I find them wildly unpredictable.

Anyway, that's my story!

-Moe

As others have said as well, Im an MRP user (formerly "Mr. Paint" but NOT the same as "Mr. Color" products). I too was an enamel user for decades, until I found MRP. Handy, as Model Master who made the enamels I liked, has now shut down and their enamels are hard to come by.

I might give Sprue Brothers a shot with either Gunze-Sangyo (same as "Mr Color" products) or MRP. MRP is technically an acrylic, but is suspended in a lacquer carrier, thus it is a "Acrylic Lacquer".   It stinks a bit, but it shoots better than ANY bottled paint I've ever tried. Gunze-Sangyo is also great paint, but like all old school stuff, it needs to be thinned where MRP is ready to shoot right from the bottle. 

MRP also lets you run with enamel washes and the like, which are very easy to clean off w/mineral spirits once applied.

Oh and welcome to the forums!   :post1:

30 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

As others have said as well, Im an MRP user (formerly "Mr. Paint" but NOT the same as "Mr. Color" products). I too was an enamel user for decades, until I found MRP. Handy, as Model Master who made the enamels I liked, has now shut down and their enamels are hard to come by.

I might give Sprue Brothers a shot with either Gunze-Sangyo (same as "Mr Color" products) or MRP. MRP is technically an acrylic, but is suspended in a lacquer carrier, thus it is a "Acrylic Lacquer".   It stinks a bit, but it shoots better than ANY bottled paint I've ever tried. Gunze-Sangyo is also great paint, but like all old school stuff, it needs to be thinned where MRP is ready to shoot right from the bottle. 

MRP also lets you run with enamel washes and the like, which are very easy to clean off w/mineral spirits once applied.

Oh and welcome to the forums!   :post1:

Hi Brian,

Thanks for both the suggestions and the welcome.

Question about Mr Paint...

Is it a straight airbrush product, or can it be brushed on?

I ask, because I've got an ongoing love/hate relationship with Tamiya over that exact issue.

BTW, I checked and "MRP" looks to be available in most colors.

BTW#2, it may be temporary, but the paint counter at Sprue Bros and Squadron look to have been hit by a plague of locusts. ;)

-Moe

6 minutes ago, ivanmoe said:

Question about Mr Paint...

Is it a straight airbrush product, or can it be brushed on?

Gunze-Sangyo is a bottled paint designed to be brushed on out of the bottle, but is easily thinned for shooting out of an air brush. But yes, they are thick out of the bottle for brush painting.

One of the things I initially complained about MRP, is the fact that they are thin out of the bottle and ready for airbrushing, is one of the things I like best about MRP now. No muss, no fuss, no mixing or figuring out thinning ratios, and getting it hit or miss. Just open a bottle, dump some in the air brush and you are away!

This is NOT to say that Gunze stuff is not good paint. It dries wonderfully, and (when thinned right) shoots beautifully through an air brush.  The main draw back for me in MRP is the fact that they dont hand brush well...............

Ive figured out if you leave some MRP out in a small mixing cup for a small bit, it thickens up enough to brush with, so thats my work around. 

5 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Gunze-Sangyo is a bottled paint designed to be brushed on out of the bottle, but is easily thinned for shooting out of an air brush. But yes, they are thick out of the bottle for brush painting.

One of the things I initially complained about MRP, is the fact that they are thin out of the bottle and ready for airbrushing, is one of the things I like best about MRP now. No muss, no fuss, no mixing or figuring out thinning ratios, and getting it hit or miss. Just open a bottle, dump some in the air brush and you are away!

This is NOT to say that Gunze stuff is not good paint. It dries wonderfully, and (when thinned right) shoots beautifully through an air brush.  The main draw back for me in MRP is the fact that they dont hand brush well...............

Ive figured out if you leave some MRP out in a small mixing cup for a small bit, it thickens up enough to brush with, so thats my work around. 

Your comments make it sound a lot like Tamiya, excepting MRP comes pre-thinned.

One of the big pluses over Tamiya appears to be color selection, especially for model planes.

No comparo on that count! :D

Can you tell me what the thinner might be?

I believe that Tamiya uses alcohol, which I've read is the ingredient which screws up undercoats that it's subsequently brushed over.

Kinda makes me crazy when I need to touch-up a blemish.

Do you vent your workspace to the outdoors before applying MRP?

That's no reason to reject the product, as it was always necessary with airbrushed enamels.

Just wondering how toxic it might be.

-Moe

2 minutes ago, ivanmoe said:

Can you tell me what the thinner might be?

Since MRP and Mr Color are both lacquer based,  Mr. Color thinner, or Mr. Color leveling thinner both work equally well with MRP and Gunze.

2 minutes ago, ivanmoe said:

Do you vent your workspace to the outdoors before applying MRP?

OH yeah!  Ive got fully vented spray booth that I use that is vented out of my basement window in my workshop. Works well. I usually just treat MRP and Mr Color as both lacquers, and paint with them as such (respirator, or paint booth venting ect), but DEFINITELY have proper ventilation for either.  

1 hour ago, ivanmoe said:

Well, it looks like I'll give Mr Paint a try.

Sincerest thanks to Brian and everyone else who replied to my query.

This was actually a better and more productive experience than I anticipated! :)

Thanks again,

-Moe

No worries, its pretty much whomever knows and is around normally will respond with a helping hand if we can. As to Mr Paint/MRP I don't think you will regret your purchase. The stuff sprays to a very nice semi-gloss, and is quite durable, yet does not clog the air brush tip. Its a bit on the pricey side, but well worth it IMHO. 

On 12/16/2020 at 8:37 AM, ivanmoe said:

Question about Mr Paint..    Is it a straight airbrush product, or can it be brushed on?

MRP has an water based acrylic line too. I think the reason is it's popularity and that it can be brushed.

I've never used the acrylic so I don't know how it behaves but I doubt it sprays like the aclacq or how it

matches with the lacquer for touch up.

Hi!

The new MRP acrylic line are indeed also intended for minor touch-up (by brush) of the Laquer paint and should be a exact match.

I have not tried any of the new acrylics yet, but I will.

I´m a die-hard Enamel fan (Humbrol/White Ensign/Xtracolor/Revell), Always been and always will.

Once I tried MRP I was hooked, best paint I ever have used and today that´s my first option.

The only drawback is that they are very thin and not for brush-painting, but you can´t get it all!

Cheers!

Stefan :D

Edited by Phantom2