V-1 "Doodlebug" tipping?

I'm thinking about a diorama of a Typhoon tipping a V-1 rocket. That was one of the missions of No. 137 Squadron out of Mansion England. What I am wondering is if they were on V-1 alert and that was the primary mission would they go up without external fuel tanks or rockets? I want to actually show them wingtip to wingtip. Unfortunately it will be a 1/48 project. It will take up way too much space as a LSP dio.

12 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

I would assume rockets and fuel tanks would be left behind, as speed was of the essence.

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I have read that the most effective way to knock them out of the air was tipping. I imagine they didn't want to let loose with the 20mm cannons over their hometown either.

16 minutes ago, AlbertD said:

Thats exactly what I was thinking. I have read that the most effective way to knock them out of the air was tipping. I imagine they didn't want to let loose with the 20mm cannons over their hometown either.

Both were problematic. If tipped (in the wrong place), they'd just blow up something other than what they would have blown up to begin with. If blasted by machine gun fire, debris would rain down everywhere, but at least the blast itself would be airborne, so that's a good thing. Usually, I suspect, they tried to engage them over open country, if at all possible.

Osprey does a decent book on the Meteor vs V1. I've not yet read my copy, but it might shed some light on what were considered best practices for engaging them.

7 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Osprey does a decent book on the Meteor vs V1. I've not yet read my copy, but it might shed some light on what were considered best practices for engaging them.

I'll order a copy. About any book in the series is always a good read. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by AlbertD

I could be wrong here Albert but I don't think Typhoons were used for anti diver work. Before the start of the V-1 campaign the Typhoon squadrons had left Air Defence Great Britain (ADGB) and were transferred to the 2nd Tactical Airforce ready for the invasion of Europe. Spitfires and Tempests were mainly against V-1s.

TRF

43 minutes ago, fastterry said:

I could be wrong here Albert but I don't think Typhoons were used for anti diver work. Before the start of the V-1 campaign the Typhoon squadrons had left Air Defence Great Britain (ADGB) and were transferred to the 2nd Tactical Airforce ready for the invasion of Europe. Spitfires and Tempests were mainly against V-1s.

TRF

This is one of the sites I saw it on.

http://www.historyofwar.org/air/units/RAF/137_wwII.html

Osprey did a book on V-1 aces, Aircraft of the Aces #113. The best book on the subject is Diver! Diver! Diver!, published by Grub Street. 

Tipping was frowned upon, as it was extremely dangerous. However there are many cases of it being used by pilots after they ran out of ammunition. 

Richard

Edited by R Palimaka

Hi Albert, once again I have to eat humble pie. I didn't ever remember reading of Typhoons being involved in V-1 operations until now. 137 sqn was tasked with anti-shipping duties at this time (June 1944) but were given permission to intercept V-1s if it didn't interfere with their other duties. They apparently destroyed 30 V-1s between 22 June and 4 August, this information is in the Osprey book 'Typhoon & Tempest aces of WW2' by Chris Thomas which I have and which I read cover to cover when I purchased it in 2000. The 20 year gap explains my memory lapse (my excuse anyway). One destruction of a V-1 should fit the bill for your diorama and it has an Aussie connection too. Aussie pilot John Horne spotted one while on an uneventful anti-shipping patrol. He wasn't able to get within cannon range, because his aircraft was fitted with rockets, so on the off chance he launched his full compliment of eight with at least one hitting the V-1 and bringing it down. How about that!

TRF

5 minutes ago, fastterry said:

Hi Albert, once again I have to eat humble pie. I didn't ever remember reading of Typhoons being involved in V-1 operations until now. 137 sqn was tasked with anti-shipping duties at this time (June 1944) but were given permission to intercept V-1s if it didn't interfere with their other duties. They apparently destroyed 30 V-1s between 22 June and 4 August, this information is in the Osprey book 'Typhoon & Tempest aces of WW2' by Chris Thomas which I have and which I read cover to cover when I purchased it in 2000. The 20 year gap explains my memory lapse (my excuse anyway). One destruction of a V-1 should fit the bill for your diorama and it has an Aussie connection too. Aussie pilot John Horne spotted one while on an uneventful anti-shipping patrol. He wasn't able to get within cannon range, because his aircraft was fitted with rockets, so on the off chance he launched his full compliment of eight with at least one hitting the V-1 and bringing it down. How about that!

TRF

Good stuff for sure Terry. Thats another book I'll be adding to the reading list. Aside from modeling my favorite thing is reading history.

Edited by AlbertD

7 minutes ago, fastterry said:

TRF

Just found the book on ebay for $10.83 shipped. You know I ordered it.