Tamiya F-4J Phantom VMFA-232 Red Devils *Finished*

AlbertD

Got the cockpit fitted and the fuselage closed up. It went surprisingly easy. I had to thin the inside of the fuselage walls a bit and it tucked right up tight against the cockpit coaming. Here are a couple of pictures that hopefully show where it needed thinning. I also shortened the little screw down stubs a bit though I'm not sure it needed it.

IMG-0689.jpg

IMG-0690.jpg

IMG-0691.jpg

IMG-0692.jpg

IMG-0693.jpg

IMG-0694.jpg

Do any of you guys have a copy of the location correction diagram that comes with the GT Resin outboard pylons? It shouldn't be to hard to scale off of the drawings but thought I would ask anyway.

Edit: The great customer service at GT Resin came through. They sent me a PDF of the file.

Edited by AlbertD

Hi Albert,

Looks great.

Take care when you fit the nose cone and the air inlets on the front. I see that you come across the same things as I had. It is only minor surgery to fix that. You are beating me on speed, my progress is very slow, still want to finish mine before the end of the year, ambitious I know...

Look forward to more!!

Rick

10 hours ago, spyrosjzmichos said:

Great progress Albert! 

Would suggest you dry fit the nose section, too, before committing to glue. 

I had a bit of misalignment to deal with, probably of my own doing... 

39 minutes ago, vvwse4 said:

Hi Albert,

Looks great.

Take care when you fit the nose cone and the air inlets on the front. I see that you come across the same things as I had. It is only minor surgery to fix that. You are beating me on speed, my progress is very slow, still want to finish mine before the end of the year, ambitious I know...

Look forward to more!!

Rick

Thanks for the heads up on this. I will definitely watch for it. 

Just a bit of an update. I fitted and filled the nose cone, drilled new holes and filled the old ones for the outer pylons and mounted the outer wings. As you Phantom guys know the outer wing panels have too much angle when following the kit directions. What I did was lay out the 12.5 deg angle and the baseline with the model sitting flat on the benchtop. then measured the distance from the benchtop to the wingtip. If this doesn't make sense maybe the pictures will help. I then filled the gap with Evergreen strip. It still needs a bit of cleanup but I want to wait for everything to set up well before I handle it too much.

IMG-0695.jpg

IMG-0697.jpg

IMG-0696.jpg

IMG-0702.jpg

IMG-0703.jpg

IMG-0699.jpg

IMG-0698.jpg

4 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Excellent and informative as always!

Thank you

Thanks Anthony. I know it's not one of those super detailed builds that some of you guys do but maybe it will help someone else. I know getting tips and support from you guys has been really helpful for me.

1 hour ago, Lothar said:

This is one of my favourite WIP threads filled with hints and tips - once finished I will most

likely pull my kit out of the stash :thumbsup:

Lothar

That is good to hear. I appreciate your support.