Mirage IIIc 1/32 Italeri

discus

Hello

After KH Miragge 2000, I decided to go back in time with this Mirage IIIc from Italeri

I built the IIIe version some times ago and I new what to expect: kit is rather good but there are few shortcomings. Notably the nose cone adjustment: it is wider than the fuselage so sanding and putty are in order.

Then the fairing round the exhaust and the vertical tail plan are quite tricky due to very small contact surfaces with the fuselage parts (especially for the fairing, if the photoetch frame is not presicely installed, there is no contact surface anymore. After several dry fit tests, I decided not to follow the sequence of steps from the instructions.

Some addons I used:

Pitot from Masters

PE from Eduard for the seat and cockpit panels

Resin wheels from reskit

The squadron insigna is from an old Berna decal sheet for a 1/48 Super Mystere B2 if I remember well. It happens that it is nearly the right size for the 1/32 Mirage IIIc. Lucky me. :thumbsup:

Handbrush painting as usual : Humbrol 230 "pru Blue" for the top.

For the lower part and the fuel tank, I tried vallejo metal colors. I must say I love them.

I found by chance a video on YT (dogma72 - Brushing Vallejo Metal Color) showing how to brush them.

It is a bit unatural way of working but it worked well: in fact you dry brush them.

I put a layer of vallejo black primer then I used a large square brush, with nearly no paint on it and brush the surface. I did 3 or 4 layer, waiting overnight between each.

Result is to my opinion close to what you could have with an airbrush. Not brush marks. Pigments are much thinner than the Humbrol Metal cote and the range of colors is wide.

I used aluminum 701 and for some parts pale burnt aluminum 704 (it is not really visible on the photos due to lighting conditions).

I also used jet exhause 713 for the stove pipe

I had a lot of fun with this kit. :D

IMG-2751.jpg

IMG-2753.jpg

IMG-2754.jpg

IMG-2756.jpg

IMG-2757.jpg

A pair of French Deltas :wub:
IMG-2762.jpg

Lovely Mirage. Nice build quality and colours.

I too have built the IIIE and enjoyed it very much (It looks very similar to yours!) and I look forward to the IIIC in the stash. I agree with the build problems - I dispensed with the photo etch part at the rear altogether. The nose cone is annoying but not too difficult to fix.

Cheers

Malcolm

• 2 weeks later...