1/18th Merit SBD-2 "2106" at Midway

REJ

51 minutes ago, REJ said:

Well...the two examples you give above are close, but the right one is closer. The hole in the center of the 6 is square though...no beveled edges there. The overall dimensions I came up with is 15mm tall by 12mm wide with a thickness of 3mm per arm of the number. That's about as close as I can get. I printed paper versions that I taped to various media like frisket mask,  masking tape, thin plastic card, and such, but the small size and precise cuts needed are very hard to get right. One small slip or cuts not connected results in skewed or feathered edges that spray painting white on intermediate blue just brings out badly. I finally settled on thin plastic card with double sided tape under it to help hold the stencil to the curved sides of the fuselage. Hopefully it will yield the desired results with as little "correction " as needed.  I spray tomorrow evening after a thorough cleaning tonight. And yes, I am in the US....Texas is my home.

The two "6" examples I posted are identical except the one on the left was designed to not have the hole "free-floating" and part of the mask.  The one on the right will have the hole as a separate piece that you would have to place manually.  If you are willing to wait a few days before spraying that "6", I could mail you a set of adhesive masks tomorrow based on the dimensions that you've given me.

Are you sure that the hole is square?  I'm not an expert on SBD's or #2106 but based on this photo from the internet, it appears that the hole may have bevels.  It's easy enough to send multiple versions of this mask so I can include them all. 

2106.jpg

2106-Crop.jpg

All I would need is for you to message me your mailing address and I can put the masks in a greeting card to be mailed tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

The plan of attack from here is to finish the beast in this order:

1) dull coat the upper and lower surfaces to remove the "sheen" and prep the surface for weathering. 

2) add weathering around wing roots from exhaust staining.

3) add weathered foot prints to the wing walk areas.

4) add pitot tube and antenna wires.

...and that should about do it. The temperatures in Texas right now are not good for the dull coating, but that promises to improve dramatically next week. So onward I go...hope to have her ready for inspection in less than two weeks period!

• 2 weeks later...

20210227-214755.jpg

So....step 4 is done. The pitot has been added...and the painted out "S-" panels adjacent to the fuselage 6s as well. Again,  weather permitting, the last dulcoat will go on.. antenna wire (EZ Line) and a little additional weathering and I can stick a fork in it. Then on to the next big project...

20210205-085750.jpg

..UH-1B Huey Dustoff...in 1:18th scale..

"Go big or stay at home!"

20210306-190324.jpg

Well, she's pretty much done. The dulcoat went on perfectly and weathering dirt and grime was added. Ezline antenna wire went on with a little help...and here's the results. Enjoy...20210306-190347.jpg

20210306-190258.jpg

20210306-190247.jpg

Glamour shots to follow. I can't express enough my gratitude for those who helped during this build. All the words of encouragement and correction were greatly appreciated and the number mask from Thunnus helped me over bumps that otherwise would have resulted in shelving this project. I learned a lot from people on this forum and I look forward to your scrutiny of my results. 

Edited by REJ
Correction