Tamiya 1/32 kits - working features

MikeC

23 hours ago, BarryWilliams said:

Decals are always disappointing!!!  Masks are far superior and I would not dream of using decals on these kits, other than the small minor markings.

I built two of the Zeros and I did not even think to try to build a working landing gear, though I did it as per instructions and I was surprised after that it actually did work....  on one of them at least.

Hi Barry,

I can get a good result with well manufactured decals but masks are nice as well.  Though they can be more work to get right in some cases.

Ernest

23 hours ago, Greif8 said:

Hi Barry,

I can get a good result with well manufactured decals but masks are nice as well.  Though they can be more work to get right in some cases.

Ernest

The clue being well manufactured Ernest.  Masks though, in my experience, always get a good result and personally I find them easier to use and no more time consuming, once you allow for repeated applications of solution to get reluctant decals to conform.  

On 6/9/2020 at 6:54 AM, MikeC said:

Thanks for your interest, everyone, there are some interesting points of view.  Seems I'm in the majority in that I wouldn't be bothered if these features were not present, but at least will pose the control surfaces and flaps

I do that on kits that weren't supplied with movable parts!

Richard

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

I do that on kits that weren't supplied with movable parts!

As do I sometimes.  Depends on the subject.

44 minutes ago, MikeC said:

As do I sometimes.  Depends on the subject.

Studying pictures of the 'planes I model, it is rare to find control surfaces in line with the wings or tailplane. I also think it adds a bit of realism

Should I ever build a Short 184, I'm not sure if I'd follow the prototype though:

31-2.jpg

The ailerons are correct in this image, both down

Richard

1 hour ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Then there's the other end of the "show the engine, etc." with Tamiya's F-4E or from others like Trumpeter with clear parts...who has seen this as a plus?

Grandparents and parents buying kits for kids, young teenagers with disposable cash going Wow!*

Modellers, probably not so much

Richard

*Readers, I have been that person

7 hours ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Then there's the other end of the "show the engine, etc." with Tamiya's F-4E or from others like Trumpeter with clear parts...who has seen this as a plus?

The "F-4E Early Production" clear nose is horrible to use. If possible, buy the F-4EJ edition which has grey (as well as clear) plastic nose parts. 

You lose the bombs and overscale racks, but gain later Sidewinders, deliciously realistic panel number stencil decals and stickyback metal stabilator doubler fishplates. 

Tony 

15 hours ago, RLWP said:

Grandparents and parents buying kits for kids, young teenagers with disposable cash going Wow!*

Modellers, probably not so much

Richard

*Readers, I have been that person

If one decides to use the clear feature, think it best done by building as usual, blending in the panel or fuselage half, then when painting just freehand primer (dark or black) and color up to area or areas to be kept "clear".