1:32 Hawker Siddeley Andover E.Mk 3A - 3D Print

Iain

Useful things I have learned in last 48 hours:

• ABS to ABS - perfect bonds with Plastic Weld.
  • Polystyrene sheet (HIPS - Plasticard) bonds pretty neatly to the printed ABS using Plastic Weld. Superb - will be doing a lot of this...
  • UV stabilised clear PETG sheet appears to bond very well to printed ABS - at least test pieces indicate this. This is brilliant news and means I have a route I'll probably go with the fuselage windows (pending checking test pieces tomorrow)...

So, get some Plastic Weld, or equivalent!  :)

Fin is now permanently attached to fuselage tail - joint sanded and filled.

Will sand back in the am and take some photos.

Only down side - a little splitting along print layers in a couple of places on the fuselage shells - but sorted - and I've even made a start on prepping those.

Thought on the kit in general is that, if you've built a few vacs, or done any scratch-building, then you'll love it.

Probably a bit of a challenge if you're aren't comfortable with hacking things about - and lots, and lots, of sanding.

Iain

Not Humbrol...

It's distributed here in the UK by EMA Model Supplies - and labelled as Methylene Chloride/Dichloromethane - a pretty strong solvent.

There must be an equivalent in North America/rest of the World?

Have been using it for best part of 40 years - but very happy to find it works well bonding the disparate plastic types I'm using on this project.

Iain

Started looking at the fuselage sections - looks like I'll have to modify the front port side fuselage section where the side door attaches at the top, in order to allow the floor section to be slid in after assembly of the fuselage halves.

Nose section in place - a lot better since sanding and primer:

48b427_8199cac7b7314c09baadb7f5607bf9ce~

48b427_a1950fca372743ca85b0dba7d2de9111~

48b427_f593a4335ad440e8a41f5c4832e67328~

Note the way the cockpit floor section slides onto support sections printed into the nose section - some really clever thinking by the designer:

48b427_d83870ebf3d245aaae6d8d9e31d3c2db~

And now planning how to attack the interior sections:

48b427_369e215e32424b859a84f00f89b4c146~

Iain

And, going back to the tail...

"I love the smell of automotive primer in the evening, it's the smell of progress!"

Or, something like that...

Initial primer coat on the tail - wet sanded after drying with 800 grit wet and dry:

48b427_24fc39b2d0784596bc40b4236ae74195~

48b427_bd3c81da55f948cf9c20773f6ce55763~

48b427_3a1892550e764604ac30e8865c7226a0~

I may have to take a break from this and do something else for a few days.

Iain

I'm trying not to get envious Iain, LOL.  This is looking super sharp mate.

One thing that captures my attention is the fact it looks 'just right',  Especially the nose section, he really has captured the look and feel of the actual plane...clever guy...both of you!

Just now, Iain said:

Well - it's partly your baby too Anthony!

Who knew my MoJo was hiding in a 3D Printer in Japan, and would be discovered by some bloke in NZ?

A bit random, eh?  :)

Iain

LOL...me too!

At least I can keep working on my 24th Mosquito whilst I wait and not get distracted...again!

On 5/29/2020 at 2:40 PM, scvrobeson said:

Who makes Plastic Weld? Is that the Humbrol product?

Matt 

google REZ-BOND, it's the solvent I've used at work for 45 years...it is fairly expensive, you'll find other brands, I just bought a quart for $34.00 including shipping from CASEWAY which is another brand. You have to be careful with these solvents when gluing thin styrene, it will melt it, leave sink marks..