Hasegawa F-104G 331 Sqn RNoAF

jenshb

Since there were no objections to my project in the LSP Discussion forums, I guess my progress is within the rules.  So, the intention is to finish the model to represent a pre-1972 F-104G from 331 Sqn Royal Norwegian Air Force based in Bodø.  Way back in 1984, the Luftforsvaret - as the RNoAF is known in Norway - celebrated their 40th anniversary, and a book to celebrate the occasion was released.  The book was called "Fra Spitfire til F-16" (From Spitfire to F-16) and in that book was a photo of an F-104G that has had me wanting to build a model of it ever since.  BTW, the photo is taken at Bardufoss, not 331 Sqn's home base.  For more info on Norwegian Starfighters, I can recommend the website starfighter.no, but non-Norwegian speakers will need to use a web translator.

30WoBUV.jpg

Not planning to add the ladder, but you will notice the hatches for the electronics bay and the lower engine compartment are open.  According to a Starfighter technician at 334 Sqn (when they were operating CF-104s) these were closed after engine startup, so I assume this is taken shortly before a mission.  The "catamaran" (what the twin launcher on the belly was called) will need to be scratch built and the Sidewinders will be Eduard resin once I get my Hannants order in.  According to the afore mentioned website, there were two basic intercept configurations; supersonic and subsonic.  The configuration shown gave less supersonic drag, whereas mounting the launchers and missiles on the wing pylons gave less subsonic drag.

My track record for groupbuilds is abysmal, but - like lottery wins - one day it might just happen:)

Jens

Edited by jenshb

3 minutes ago, Lee White said:

Is the catamaran the same as on the S? If so, perhaps you can pilfer one from the World Starfighter kit.

The Hasegawa World Starfighter kit belly launcher isn’t any different than what’s included in all of Hasegawa F-104 kits, which is the Red Dog launcher.

I have the magnificent Daco book on the Starfighter, and the shapes shouldn't be too hard to make from Evergreen strip.  The braces on the fuselage may be similar - need to check.

On a side note - and perhaps a question of general interest:  How do you get a polished metal finish that doesn't show any clear decal film from stencils?  The larger items I can trim the surrounding clear film off, but the stencilling is a bit harder...  The problem I always have with polished metal finishes is that the clear decal film is a coating on the metallic surface that changes the reflection, and thus makes the film visible...

An alternative finish would be overall light grey as some of the F-104Gs were licence built by Canadair (and not CF-104s) and those airframes were light grey, not bare metal.

Hi!

I use Alclad Clear Cote Gloss before the decals and Satin after the decals, even on a metallic surface (usually Alclad Aluminium etc) and have never noticed any reduction in the metallic sheen or "feel".

49286366336_35ee174600_c.jpg

Cheers!

Stefan

Edited by Phantom2