Grumann F9-F-5 Panther FINISHED

Dukie99

That's a great build!! When you first started i thought there would be a lot of sanding, dryfitting, swearing, repeat, being a resin kit. Was the fit that good?, not taking anything away from your skills. Like most everyone else,  i remember The Bridges at Toko Ri, read the book first, then saw the movie. Really enjoyed the action parts. What's next?

Don

5 hours ago, dmthamade said:

That's a great build!! When you first started i thought there would be a lot of sanding, dryfitting, swearing, repeat, being a resin kit. Was the fit that good?, not taking anything away from your skills. Like most everyone else,  i remember The Bridges at Toko Ri, read the book first, then saw the movie. Really enjoyed the action parts. What's next?

Don

Thank you Don. The fit of the kit was very good overall and let's say I did a lot less of sanding, puttying and resanding on this kit than on many IM kit I have done in the past. Fitting the cockpit tube into the fuselage was simply amazing: I had followed the instructions of Paul to the Ts but I was sceptical that everything would fit as it should, but it did. The fit of the tip tanks was excellent with minimum putty to hide the seam, same thing for the elevator and all the moving parts. The only part which was a bit tricky was mating the wing part to the fuselage. The kit provides positive tabs for a correct fit but it is not a tight fit so there is a bit of room for error there. Paul recommends to use super glue but I thought that 3min epoxy would work better as it gave me some time to get the geometry perfect. There was a 3 mm gap at the rear where the bottom part of the wing met the bottom part of the fuselage and much smaller gap in the front just below and ahead of the intakes. Both of these were filled with shims of styrene and then puttied and sanded, so not a ton of work. It makes me want to tackle my fat face skyraider conversion.

Cheers,

David

• 1 month later...

Really Beautiful build , I wishthat model was still available! 

Didn't Brubaker fly a Banshee?

Nope I watched "The Bridges at Toko=Ri" a bunch of times when I was working on mine .. Panthers all the way!