Unique opportunity 1/32 Andover C1

Anthony in NZ

On 7/17/2020 at 11:43 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

This thing is pretty big!

DfhSeJ.jpg

Glad you finally received it Anthony...if you ignore the door shape, the forward fuselage section in your image (from the forward of the wing leading edge) looks remarkably similar to the HS 125.

Derek

On 7/16/2020 at 10:04 AM, Anthony in NZ said:

Hi Team

I have been corresponding with Ladislav just now as I have ordered the 1/32 Dart from him last week.  He has just come back saying he might make it Andover specific and is checking ref's and differences from the Viscount one.  He mentions the spinner and engine front ring casting.

He has asked for photo's and dimensions of the kit parts.  I have sent pics of the parts to him, but I cant locate my Vernier calipers...

Maybe Iain you can measure and message him some dimensions?

Actually the more I look at this kit and study it, the more I see how much work and research has gone into it, quite impressive!

Cheers

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

I need to catch up with Ladislav - he's quoted me for an engine (a little more than expected) and do I want to order one.

Got sidetracked with cars - so haven't replied to him yet.

Yes - I can measure up the engines and send over details if you haven't already?

Still not sure re. differences - I can see the cowl panels are missing the NACA intakes of the Andover - but they do look similar?

The Aviation News plans arrived yesterday - and, yes, these have been used as a basis - hence a few quirks in the design - but, yes, I'm very pleased with my Andover still!  :)

Iain

I am surprised at the amount of interest there has been for this kit in various scales.  I never realized the Andover was so popular! 

And the interest you are getting on your build here and BM, not only on the subject, but also the manufacture etc is remarkable.

I think our Mr Highlander is going to start his soon...maybe I wont be far away either then!

More builds would be great!  :thumbsup:

Have just replied to your emails with Ladislav...

Yes - I get the impression on Britmodeller that a few people have ordered the Andover in other scales - and Toshihiko has been saying how busy he is at present!

So, hopefully, if Ladislav is up for doing Andover Specific engines/cowls - there may be a larger market out there.

Iain

12 minutes ago, Iain said:

More builds would be great!  :thumbsup:

Have just replied to your emails with Ladislav...

Yes - I get the impression on Britmodeller that a few people have ordered the Andover in other scales - and Toshihiko has been saying how busy he is at present!

So, hopefully, if Ladislav is up for doing Andover Specific engines/cowls - there may be a larger market out there.

Iain

Thanks for your reply to Ladislav. He seems really interested in the Andover specific engines.

Yes another chap in NZ ordered a 1/32 scale one this past week I am told!

Hi, a moderate sized box arrived here today in Lower Hutt with one very large model in it.

While I didn't actually work on either Andover SQN, as the Resident Engineering Officer at Harewood Airport in the early to mid 1990s the team I managed there were responsible for repair of most of the components, the engines and repaints. I flew on them many times and once we standardised the avionics fits and shake them down, they did sterling service for New Zealand. 

Re the engines, they were RDa12s, the biggest and most powerful version of the Dart and different in many ways to the other versions of the engines. From memory, they were 3 times more powerful than the earlier Darts. I should be able to get access to the one at Wigram 

Re the model, I actually meant to get the 1/48th version but got a bit carried away at the time of ordering (we'd sold our house a day before so thought what the heck!). I'm really pleased with the kit, while there are some items that will require tweaking, it looks every part of an Andover, but my 1m detail rule might be a bit tricky to comply with given the size of this model, my back would be against the other wall of the room.

Bought a house in Leeston over the weekend with a room I'll be allowed as a model room but it's a couple of months away yet so will admire the bits for another day or so then pack it away.

Thanks for linking me in at the start Anthony, no regrets whatsoever.

Stay safe and stay well,

Best Regards

Brent