New from Model Monkey: 1/32 Beaufighter cockpits, dihedral tailplanes and 1/24 Mustang upgrades

Model_Monkey

5 minutes ago, Model_Monkey said:

Great explanation and photos!

Good warning to be wary of drawings.  With good references,  new tailplanes are possible.  They would be designed with separate elevators to allow the modeler some flexibility in positioning them.  Being big, they will be expensive, unfortunately.

IIRC, the Lodela release contains vac tail planes that are different from the kit parts..............I think. I want to say they are differently shaped., but Ill have to check my kit to confirm. 

A few more images that might be of use in designing those dihedral tailplanes...

ejEkHVw.jpg

fc1affc.jpg

hoSPxrv.jpg

Steve,

Out of curiosity, does the Aviaeology drawing posted above provide enough information to design dihedral tailplanes for printing? Seems to me that actual dimensions, shapes and attachment details could be extrapolated from the Revell kit's parts? 

D

12 hours ago, D Bellis said:

Steve,

Out of curiosity, does the Aviaeology drawing posted above provide enough information to design dihedral tailplanes for printing? Seems to me that actual dimensions, shapes and attachment details could be extrapolated from the Revell kit's parts? 

D

I think so.  Those are great drawings to work from.  Making any 3D object is much easier with quality 2D drawings.  If necessary, the 3D model tailplane design could be adjusted to better fit the geometry of the Revell kit's fuselage parts.  Thanks for posting that drawing!

Here is a photo to give some indication of cockpit fit with the Revell kit's fuselage parts.  It is followed by a photo of the Revell kit's cockpit parts and photos of the corresponding Model Monkey parts for comparison.  For those who are unfamiliar with the Revell kit's very basic cockpit parts, one can clearly see the advantages of the 3D-printed cockpit.

file.php?id=116595&mode=view

file.php?id=116596&mode=view

file.php?id=116548&mode=view

file.php?id=116564&mode=view

Edited by Model_Monkey
Updated.

Excellent!   Great stuff, and thanks for getting those drawings up D. 

Now about those Brit 18" 2D torpedo drawings................ :lol:

I had a look at my Beaufighter vac torpedo yesterday, and it appears the kit vac parts are heavily lacking. My vac pull isnt as bad as I thought, but its still pretty rough. Im sure there would be a call for a 3D printed 18" torpedo for more than just the Torbeau too

ARTS1909Plate2.jpg

ARTS1908Plate11.jpg

beaufighter-7.jpg

4 minutes ago, Model_Monkey said:

I do, I do!!!     Will be placing my order for the TF. X pit tomorrow if its available.  :D  Strange seeing the old girl in black! My old kit is faded white. 

1 minute ago, 1to1scale said:

I believe the US 21 inch Mk.13 torpedo comes in the Avenger kits, will it work?

AFAIA yes. As I recall, it was either the 21" US torp, or the 18" Brit torp used on the Torbeau from the documentation book I have (dont remember which book I have) 

Wow.   The possible torpedo and tailplanes and rear gunners position and the forward cockpit push this well deserving kit into the realm of total bliss.  Hopefully, MM can keep up the miracle going on here.  The cockpit is a must have for me but I’m anticipating another upgrade and want to do my order(s) all at once.   I’m certainly excited for everyone here.   What a total surprise going on here.  

I have a future idea for the one man show at MM.  The old Revel mid wing George kit making it into a Rex.  You would sell boat loads of this conversion as well.   Just kindly saying.   (Suggesting perhaps).   

Troy 

Just now, Troy Molitor said:

I have a future idea for the one man show at MM.  The old Revel mid wing George kit making it into a Rex.  You would sell boat loads of this conversion as well.   Just kindly saying.   (Suggesting perhaps).   

Holy @#$!  I don't even want to GO there. I'm in love with all seaplanes and float planes but a Rex is on my all time list. Great suggestion, whatever the possibility of it

I agree, this kit has been needing love like this for YEARS. Its such a lovely airframe, and at this point in the game I dont have much faith we will see a full new tool kit  any time soon. The tail planes have always been one of the biggest sticking points for me after getting the "glass". The kit parts just aren't anywhere near realistic to the 1:1.