New from Model Monkey: 1/32 Beaufighter cockpits, dihedral tailplanes and 1/24 Mustang upgrades

Model_Monkey

4 hours ago, Model_Monkey said:

Regarding the observers station, thanks to your orders today there is certainly sufficient demand to offer one!

I'm in for two of those observer station sets as well. 

Glad to hear that your cockpit set has been a sales success! Hopefully, that might spur on the development of dihedral tailplanes as well? Those would allow for building the basic airframes of all the staple variants such as the Mk.VI series, TF.X and MK.21.

After those tailplanes, the only other truly "needed" parts would be the rear-gun canopy with a Vickers K gun, but that is understandably outside the realm of 3D printing. Of course, the thimble nose, torpedo and fin extension would allow for building some of the more esoteric sub-types that were in service, too. 

4 hours ago, Model_Monkey said:

Please allow additional time for printing.

Bah. Take your time. Most of us have been waiting for well over a decade - what's a few more days? ;)

Cheers,

D

11 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

MM, if I buy the cockpit set now, will I be able to purchase the additional Mk.X parts when I order the observers station? 

I think so.  I'll post updates as new products are designed and released.  It is difficult to predict exactly when a product will be released, or in what order related products are completed.  Research, designing and printing are high adventure, full of surprises, but ultimately very satisfying. 

The Mk.VI / Mk.X cockpit design and associated TR.1133 radio are closest to being completed.  Some aircraft were fit with a TR.5043 radio, which is done and is available separately now.   Researching the tailplane is in its infancy.  Beau experts, please confirm or dispute this next statement: In trying to understand what Bristol did to give the horizontal stabilizer dihedral, photos indicate that the change in geometry occurs outside the fuselage, about the same place as the break in the Revell kit's parts.  If so, perhaps all that is required is a pair of small, inexpensive 3D-printed "wedges" to insert between the kit's tailplane parts and the fuselage.  I could design wedges very quickly.

The fin extension is more complicated to design.  Creating the mating surfaces of the fin extension in CAD so that it will fit both the forward edge of the vertical stabilizer and the complex curvature of the fuselage well is technically difficult.

Thanks again, everyone!

Great stuff. Im so glad you have partnered with Peter on this, as his instrument decals are 2nd to NONE. The instructions look clear and precise. Well done!  

Im planning a TF/ X version w/a big ol Torpedo underneath, so the horizontal stabs will be very welcome.   I had the same question that Andy had..........

I think Ill go ahead and order a cockpit set on Friday when I get paid, and then will order any remaining TF/X parts I need later, including an order for an observers station. 

Unless you think I should proceed differently for a TF/X. I would think the base pit you offer now could be supplemented later w/ TF/X parts?

21 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Great stuff. Im so glad you have partnered with Peter on this, as his instrument decals are 2nd to NONE. The instructions look clear and precise. Well done!  

Im planning a TF/ X version w/a big ol Torpedo underneath, so the horizontal stabs will be very welcome.   I had the same question that Andy had..........

I think Ill go ahead and order a cockpit set on Friday when I get paid, and then will order any remaining TF/X parts I need later, including an order for an observers station. 

Unless you think I should proceed differently for a TF/X. I would think the base pit you offer now could be supplemented later w/ TF/X parts?

Thanks so much!

I'll do my best to have the TF.X 'pit ready by Friday.  Price is same as the Mk.IF / MK.II. cockpit.  Sending me a dozen Bavarian Creme donuts from Dunkin' would help it get done faster.  Boston Creme work, too.  :rolleyes:

If anyone placed an order for the Mk.IF / Mk.II cockpit and would rather have the Mk.VI / TF.X, let me know and I'll make the change for you (price is the same).  Please specify which radio you want, TR.1133 or TR.5043 (same radio as the P-51 Mustang).

Edited by Model_Monkey

5 minutes ago, Model_Monkey said:

Sending me a dozen Bavarian Creme donuts from Dunkin' would help it get done faster.  Boston Creme work, too.  :rolleyes:

How bout an order for a lot of parts instead?  :lol:   Will the TF/X pit be a whole new pit, or the original pit with the different radios/ect?

14 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

How bout an order for a lot of parts instead?  :lol:   Will the TF/X pit be a whole new pit, or the original pit with the different radios/ect?

Haha!

The TF.X cockpit has slightly different instrumentation and different radio and radio rack positioned differently.  I'll post a rendering of the radio and rack in a few minutes.  Working on the instrumentation changes now.

I regret that I will not be able to offer a clear observer's canopy with machinegun port.  Perhaps a vacuform vendor will come to the rescue.

Here's a rendering to show one of the most conspicuous differences between the Mk.IF / Mk.II cockpit and the Mk.VI / TF.X cockpit: the radio, the radio rack, and their position. References indicate that radios could be installed either on the port or starboard side. This is a port side installation of a TR.5043 radio, the same radio used in P-51D and K Mustangs, P-47 Thunderbolts, etc. (called an SCR-522-A in US service).  The other common radio was the TR.1133, which is in design now.

file.php?id=116567&mode=view

3 hours ago, Model_Monkey said:

If so, perhaps all that is required is a pair of small, inexpensive 3D-printed "wedges" to insert between the kit's tailplane parts and the fuselage.

Unfortunately, no. The kit's horizontal stabilizer might be of use (still looking into this myself), but the shape of the kit's early elevator at the root won't work for the late style tailplanes. 

Also, the kit's parts breakdown line is angled with the fuselage sides. The late tailplane's dihedral break is parallel with the fuselage centerline.

These pics should be far more explanatory:

NOMzUv8.jpg

tI6HXbS.jpg

Xd9SkbQ.jpg

And the kit's parts:

KpxVO83.jpg

Be wary of any drawings. I have yet to find one that correctly depicts the actual shapes near the root.

HTH,

D

Great explanation and photos!

Good warning to be wary of drawings.  With good references,  new tailplanes are possible.  They would be designed with separate elevators to allow the modeler some flexibility in positioning them.  Being big, they will be expensive, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

I have the parts from the Lodella release, which I think includes a vac observers canopy.

I have the Lodela release too, and knew it came with vac horizontal stabs and a vac torpedo, but didnt realize it came with a vac Observers canopy!  Ill have to look in my copy and see if mine has it too. 

Thanks Andy!