Brass LG set availability

jimbo

Hey all;

Having had plastic landing gear "go south" more times than once, I am always looking for brass or bronze G-Factor gear for any build I can get it for (or AeroCraft, thanks Alistair!). Sprue Brothers seems to get things in eventually, but if it pops up somewhere else then that's where I get it. Here in the States, I just ordered and have received shipment confirmation from Hobbylinc for the G-Factor 1/32 TBM Avenger gear and, to me more importantly, the 1/32 HE-111 gear. Just a heads' up, not sure what their international shipping might be like, but they do also have great deals on other products occasionally. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer; hope this is helpful for someone!

Jimbo

On January 27, 2019 at 9:13 AM, ScottsGT said:

I stock up as well!  eBay is a good source as well.  I have found many out of stock sets from Victory Models, Game Wise and Free Time Hobbies.  

Oh thanks so much for telling everyone else.  LOL. 

These buggers are hard to find in stock.

Rick

42 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

Yes Sir!

My P-38 build with all the back date conversion resin will sometime soon need strong legs.

Rick

I've got an L model going that could really use them, but I'm avoiding the problem with the early conversion I'm doing for the GB by building it gear up. 

• 9 months later...

I’m resurrecting this old thread for an FYI to all: Sprue Brothers has listed HK Models metal landing gear sets for the 1/32 B-17, with limited quantities available. I  noticed it on Friday morning and ordered two sets.

As I mentioned when I started the thread I’ll take proper metal gear (meaning no spaghetti/pewter SAC crap) over plastic any time I can. This looks to be cast zinc/pot metal (?) like what HobbyBoss included with the P-61. It will arrive tomorrow I believe so I can share details then. Wasn’t aware of HKs plans for this. 

Jimbo

i used to think G-Factor were the be all and end all, but then took a closer look and came to the following:

- detail is often inferior to the kit part eg DML 109, very noticeably Revell He111

- depending upon kit locating point structure - which admittedly is not GF's fault - attachment may require epoxy to really make the most of the landing gear's strength

- removal from the metal 'sprue' is not always simple, and they are not cast it seems with any real thought to the modeller in this regard

- attaching plastic to metal can be problematic, especially where one is relying on the plastic as an additional 'brace' - have a close look at the He111 set up for instance, where I am convinced most modellers will end up with an inferior result

- some of their older releases are pants (Fw190)

Eduard's Brassin is a league above anything I have seen from GF

Aerocraft seem to give great consideration to the modeller - small sample size I know - but I am holding out high hopes for more releases!