HobbyBoss 1:32 Liberator GR Mk.VI - RAF Coastal Command

Iain

Iain,

That is a terrific idea. I really hope that you still plan on marketing these. I would gladly pay to compensate your efforts and improve the wings on my two kits.

Watching eagerly... :D

Hello Iain, I am building the 1/32 D model as crashed in GuadalCanal in 1942, and I have damaged the fuselage to replicate Aa damage And other damage. I hate the airfoil, and am wondering if you would recommend doing something similar to what you’ve done. I am not very good with power tools, but I think I would be able to thin the plastic like you did. Are there any other ways you think I could fix the airfoil? Thanks I really appreciate it! Have a great day!

Hi Julian,

Feel free to print off the airfoil sections I posted earlier.

If you use them to cut the shapes in something like 2mm sheet styrene you should have something you can then bend the wing around.

You could then use brass rod through the centre section of the kit spar (with the outer sections that fit inside the wings removed).

The cross section is correctable without altering the thrust line of the engines if you are careful and bond the formers at the leading edge first - give lots of time for the bond to fdry - and then bending the upper wing around the formers.

You will need to remove/reduce a lot of the wing's internal structure as moulded.

Would love to see some photos of your project!

Iain

On 7/17/2020 at 1:38 PM, Julian Farian said:

Hello Iain, I am building the 1/32 D model as crashed in GuadalCanal in 1942, and I have damaged the fuselage to replicate Aa damage And other damage. I hate the airfoil, and am wondering if you would recommend doing something similar to what you’ve done. I am not very good with power tools, but I think I would be able to thin the plastic like you did. Are there any other ways you think I could fix the airfoil? Thanks I really appreciate it! Have a great day!

Welcome to LSP Julian! Enjoy your time here, there’s always lots to learn and people here who will freely give you advice. 

Hi Iain, I appreciate your response! Btw everyone before I get corrected, After much research my diorama is being changed to Peleliu due to historical inaccuracies. I will share a link to my YouTube video I made of my work so far. Also Iain, do you think it’s worth the extra effort to change the airfoil? Thanks, also I might try to do what you’ve already done in this forum. Should I just print the image you shared of all the plastic arc prices with the cut out paper ( with lines and percents) and scale it correctly and cut it out? Thank you very much, I really appreciate it. I’m sorry if something doesn’t make sense, I’m not an expert on airfoils!

https://youtu.be/eE3JO5u8vq0

https://youtu.be/0cOFMxZ8wMA

On 7/21/2020 at 7:22 AM, Iain said:

Hi Julian,

Feel free to print off the airfoil sections I posted earlier.

If you use them to cut the shapes in something like 2mm sheet styrene you should have something you can then bend the wing around.

You could then use brass rod through the centre section of the kit spar (with the outer sections that fit inside the wings removed).

The cross section is correctable without altering the thrust line of the engines if you are careful and bond the formers at the leading edge first - give lots of time for the bond to fdry - and then bending the upper wing around the formers.

You will need to remove/reduce a lot of the wing's internal structure as moulded.

Would love to see some photos of your project!

Iain

Thanks for the advice! Do you think it’s worth the extra effort to fix the airfoil? I will send pictures soon. Thanks

Profiles not on page 18 - but a page earlier...

These are pretty definitive profiles - ignore inner cut lines for the spar.

You'll also need to remove/reduce a lot of the internal re-enforcement - and thin the flaps, ailerons and wing tips accordingly - but I'm not at a stage where I can illustrate all of that yet.

And, yes, worth doing IMHO.

Iain

53 minutes ago, Iain said:

You'll also need to remove/reduce a lot of the internal re-enforcement - and thin the flaps, ailerons and wing tips accordingly - but I'm not at a stage where I can illustrate all of that yet.

Iain

Hello Lain, I would just like to check that the following is a correct summary of what You’ve done and I will do. 
print ( print to scale) the image you posted earlier with the 1/32 airfoils on it. ( the big red draft) Then glue it on to a sheet of plastic. 1.5 or 2mm thick. Then cut out and make fine smooth edges. After that use a dremal or something to remove the unneeded support plastic in the wings and the wing root support thingy. Also thin down the wing root plastic. ( name has lost my mind) Then, like you did in previous posts glue the plasticard pieces in the same spots you did previously. Then glue on the other wing half and attach to plane. Is that a basic idea of what I should do? Thanks! 

On 7/29/2020 at 9:14 AM, Iain said:

Iain

Hello!not trying to rush you, but I’m at the point in my build where the info I asked for previously would be very helpful! Thank you very much, have a great day!