1/32 I-16 Type 10

adamb

Hello to all,

This is Azur's 1/32 I-16 Type 10 started few days ago.

The model has been wandering among other kits for good few months but I finally decided that the time has come to build it.

The kit is rather simple and reminds me of "good old days" (OK, I am not so old) when as a kid one could start a model in the morning and paint it yet the same day. There are not too many parts in the box and construction seems to be straightforward. I think that "fast builders" could finish it within weekend.

I started from cockpit... and wheels. Parts were cut, cleaned up and wheels glued and sanded.

So here is general shot for this part of the work ;)

post-4-1129966959.jpg

Cockpit.

It is simplified and this area of a kit is perfect opportunity for detailers and scratchbuilders who want to rebuild it to have accurate replica. I decided to go easy way - only to add few bits to busy the walls; added straps to pedals.

Also thinned cockpit's siedewall in its upper part.

post-4-1129967112.jpg

Great work Adam

I have always fancied that wee plane, but already have more kits to build than 3 lifetimes would take.

I was privelaged to see 5 of these flying together at Wanaka along with the I153's and they are spectacular to watch. Very powerful and twitchy looking. I could imagine quite a handfull even to the experienced pilot. Alas slowly each year they are selling them off but if you ever get a chance to see one in action they are worth it.

Anyway sorry to ramble

I love your instrument panel also, keep up the great work.

Cheers

Anthony

Yeah...its been said so many times but the instrument panel looks great. Very realistic. Nice scratched details too...worth the effort.

Man it sounds like NZ has all the great Warbirds Anthony.

Cheers Matt

Thanks a lot for kind comments.

Anthony: I'd love to see those I-16 in the air too - I know only a pictures taken during the show. Maybe some day, however NZ is so far away... :huh:

Dave: Light blue paint is Lifecolor's UA 037 (Air Superiority Blue). This is not "pure" bright light blue, it has likely some red hue in it but in my opinion it is close enough for cockpit work, as I often touch up some bits later and mixing "primary" color every time is inconvenient.

Hello

Coming alog very nicely !

Love your instrument panel ... I'm currently finishing the type 17 myself;

what I found searching the web is that the seat, cockpit floor rudder pedals en stick would be light green, instead of blue ...

(same light green as the modern nose cones on MiG 21 ...)

Beware when you'll be fitting the wings, tricky.

I would recommand fixing upper wings to fuselage, then, outer wing sections to center underwing.

Once dry, glue underwing center to engine ring and rear , to fuselage.

Then only, do glue upper and under wing leading and trailing edge; it'll avoid a tedious seam work around the engine ring and underwing outer sections.

I'm afraid reading that might quite obscure so if you need any further explanations, feel free to ask ;)

Keep us posted ! ;)

Cheers

Stef (#6)