Sky Type S Question

Guest Peterpools

Guest Peterpools

RN Sea Fury: is Sky Type S and Duck Egg Green the same color with just a different name?

In comparing colors:

MRP  #118 RAF Sky .. lightest of the three

Mr Color C26 Duck Egg Green: in between the other two colors

Tamiya XF-21 Sky darkest of the three

All three look very close.

My preference would be to go with Mr Color Duck Egg Green.

Thank You

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

I think he is building the fisher sea fury.

I personally like the Tamiya color, since it is contrasting with the dark gray, it will look lighter. However, you may want to see if your decals have any sky color in them, and see if either matches.

Guest Peterpools

Thanks Guys

Yup, one of the two colors I'm using for the Sea Fury. I've been testing and reading and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be using Mr Color as it's splits the two right down the middle and my favorite paint.

Peter

I was asking because Duck Egg Green is the recommended interior color for my 1/24 HobbyCraft Spitfire Mk Vb.

But that was before hobby paint manufacturers actually also made "RAF Interior Green", which I understand is actually the same color, but essentially re-labeled.

But that would be assuming this is for his model's interior. :hmmm:

Guest Peterpools

interior wheel wells on the Sea Fury were originally yellow/green chromate and later on were painted the underside aircraft color of Sky Type S. Could be why on your Spit kit they assumed the interior color was Duck Egg Green.Nothing more confusing in modeling the getting the colors right

Peter

I wish we could return to calling this great color  SKY ,as it was always known.

The  S was added by the U.S manufacturer for a different compound of the color  SKY.     The same color 

Maybe somebody can add more info on this.

the color is  SKY. Let's not change history............cheers   bigern       :beer:

On 7/6/2018 at 2:51 PM, Peterpools said:

interior wheel wells on the Sea Fury were originally yellow/green chromate and later on were painted the underside aircraft color of Sky Type S. Could be why on your Spit kit they assumed the interior color was Duck Egg Green.Nothing more confusing in modeling the getting the colors right

Peter

I'll agree with that!!  :-)  Chris

Duck Egg Blue, Duck Egg Green, Pale Green and Pale Blue are descriptive terms for Sky Type S and were frequently found in period magazines, books, and even official documents.  In an attempt at clarification the Admiralty published a supplemental document specifically noting "that duck egg blue and Sky Type S are one and the same colour."  

The Type S designation was given to all surface color paints at this time but for some reason the suffix was, with the exception of Sky,  not generally referenced in publications and documents.  The 'Type S' term indicated Smooth, in reference to the type of finish.

Edited by RBrown

On 7/6/2018 at 9:33 AM, Peterpools said:

...  is Sky Type S and Duck Egg Green the same color with just a different name?

Yes.   Originally / officially called "Duck Egg Green termed Camotint" it was too glossy

so they added a smoothing agent which became Type S (smooth). DEG became Sky

at the same time and thus became Sky Type S. The Type S was not in the official name

but stuck anyway . Later there was Sky Blue and Sky Grey as well.