Aussie target tug Mustang VH-BOY (from Hasegawa 1/32 P-51D kit)

DerekB

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

Any new updates to report, Derek? An RAAF vet P-51D just crossed the ditch back home (flew past my place on the way) so I'm in need of an Aussie pony fix!

Thanks Zac, still working on this one, but slowly. Yes, I noticed Doug has a shiny new pony at Wang! 

This model actually lives on my yacht, which is in Geelong, and I live in Melbourne, and sadly haven't visited the yacht for several months. I did receive the Aries undercarriage resin, but no pictures yet. And I was trying to get that little red Mustang done for the Matchbox 50th GB on Britmodeller... but missed the deadline sadly, still going to get it finished...

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235104749-pk-13-p-51d-mustang-racer-fast-red/

• 10 months later...

I'm still working on the 3D CAD for the Type B target towing winch, but in the meantime I've shoe-horned the Aries resin wheel-wells into the wing. I think it's a big improvement, getting rid of the "boxed in" sides on the kit's moldings. 

IMG_2282-scaled.jpeg

Still needs a little tidying around the edges, and I was a bit too enthusiastic filing too much off the front edges of the resin molding, but it's very difficult to see from the outside.

Here's the view from inside, you can see how I needed to remove a section of the inner "rib" of the upper skin. But overall the fit worked fine.

IMG_2281-scaled.jpeg

I took the outer ends off the resin part and left the Hasegawa undercarriage mounting holes in place. They are far from scale accuracy, but it saves me having to  find an alternate method to attach the main undercarriage legs. 

Edited by DerekB

Derek, very interesting subject for the Mustang. I have used the Tamiya cockpit sprue 3-4 times to “upgrade” the Hasegawa Mustang. It fit’s pretty well, not too much surgery. You do have to cut off the Hasegawa instrument panel dashboard so the Hasegawa one fits. I’m looking forward to seeing more updates on this build. 

Jim

1 hour ago, James Rademaker said:

…I have used the Tamiya cockpit sprue 3-4 times to “upgrade” the Hasegawa Mustang. It fit’s pretty well…

Jim

Thanks for the suggestion Jim. In fact I did already get hold of a Tamiya cockpit sprue and it’s going to get hacked around pretty severely to squeeze in the second seat and the winch body. I needed a cockpit set which included the floor below the fuel tank, since that is where the winch will sit (somehow). The Tamiya kit includes this detail, so it is ideal for what I need. Good to know it can fit in there!

• 5 months later...

Work on the CAD model of the Type B target towing winch is almost complete. The winch drum, traversing screw and "windmill" propeller are all finished, I just need to finish the control panel and re-do a small section of curved surface where the arm meets the gearbox. Here's how it's looking:

VH-BOY-32-model-008-Type-B-TT-winch.png

After puzzling over photos, plans, drawings and manuals, I've decided that the winch was mounted on the wooden floor which was below the fuel tank behind the pilot. Of course the fuel tank and radios had been removed, hence the two Mustangs operated by Fawcett Aviation / Illawara Flying services for target towing contracts were always seen fitted with drop-tanks. The winch operator sat with his legs above the winch - this is the only way the winch operator and the winch can fit in the space behind the pilot.

So the first step in modifying the cockpit is to remove the fuel tank and rebuild the floor in this area. In the photo below I've cut out the fuel tank and reinforced the space with some styrene sheet (black). This is a cockpit from the Tamiya kit, which gives me much more detail compared with the basic Hasegawa offering.

VH-BOY-32-model-007.jpeg

So nothing very exciting happening yet in this area. Next I'll rebuild the floor and get this area ready to receive the winch once I've finished the CAD model and had it 3D printed.