How much rib stitching do I need?

Gazzas

Interesting topic for sure with no right or wrong answer.

I pulled out my Roden F.1 kit and a WnW D.VII (yeah I know can't compare apples and ....)

The Roden wings are virtually bare whereas the WnW has lovely surface detail showing the stitching.

Go with the Archer rib stitching if you want to try the look and post your findings, I for one would love to see the result.

Cheers,

Chris

Interesting topic for sure with no right or wrong answer.

I pulled out my Roden F.1 kit and a WnW D.VII (yeah I know can't compare apples and ....)

The Roden wings are virtually bare whereas the WnW has lovely surface detail showing the stitching.

Go with the Archer rib stitching if you want to try the look and post your findings, I for one would love to see the result.

Cheers,

Chris

Yes, as far as the WNW kits are concerned, there's almost always a depiction of rib tapes and stiching/connections, if indeed the real deal also had them.

Fokker D.VII (Fok) review, showing the stitching and rib tapes to good effect.

the one thing you absolutely don't want to do is overexaggerate the stitching. As in oversize or too prominent. That'll be worse than none at all.

Hey, what happened to Clint Eastwood??

Like I said, any depiction on the Roden Dr.I wing, would be a marked improvement over what's provided in the kit, and will lend some variety to the otherwise bland surfaces.

I disagree, which fortunately is allowed in modelling where rule #1 always applies - it's your model, build it how you want

Richard

I have considered a couple of methods for doing this.  One way is the Archer transfers.  Another way is to use my Silhouette Cutter to make plain strips and strips with small holes.  Then paint the rib "tapes and knot bumps" with some enamel so they'll stand proud of the wing.  Problem with the holes is you hafta pick em out.  That would make me want to just go without the bumps.

I can live with too little texture easier than I can with too much. 

I know we do things to add visual interest.  I'm Ok with that.

Gaz

Well, the Archer transfers would be the fastest way to get some surface detail, and not lose your sanity. I've seen guys use the Archer Nails on the WNW Albie, and to good effect. Given that the WNW kits have a very delicate molded texture to replicate the wing stitching,  I go with that. I like the idea of trying the stitches on a Roden kit. I mean, I only have 5 triplanes.....

Well, the Archer transfers would be the fastest way to get some surface detail, and not lose your sanity. I've seen guys use the Archer Nails on the WNW Albie, and to good effect. Given that the WNW kits have a very delicate molded texture to replicate the wing stitching,  I go with that. I like the idea of trying the stitches on a Roden kit. I mean, I only have 5 triplanes.....

I think that adding these features, while a small thing in itself, can really go a long way toward having a larger impact on the finished kit appearance, and I personally see that as highly desirable.