Dieselpunk BF 109

spacewolf

Really loving every update on this build. Such inspirational stuff shown, Shall be bookmarking this thread for future refferance for when I get round to some sci-fi scratch building. Keep up the great work man. Have you started thinking about colour schemes etc?

Just catching up on this Vaughan, and it's great as always.

Did you ever see the Space Battleship Yamato versions of the Spitfire and Mustang? Your build is reminding me of them or the Caprica Viper.

http://lighthousezen.up.n.seesaa.net/lighthousezen/image/SF51Ps.jpg?d=a11

Carl

Hey Carl, never saw those... Love the 'Japanimation' of various subjects, much like my Spacewolf build. So many things to build.. so little time ! :(

Really loving every update on this build. Such inspirational stuff shown, Shall be bookmarking this thread for future refferance for when I get round to some sci-fi scratch building. Keep up the great work man. Have you started thinking about colour schemes etc?

Thanks much ! It's great to know folks out there like this. As for color schemes ?... I was thinking late war German camo but I'm not decided yet... the color of the original drawing lends itself to late 30's American or even Japanese ( the pilot fig in front looks Japanese and I have a leftover canopy from a Zero....)... Could go Russian... I'm open to thoughts/ suggestions from you all... chime in and give me idea's !! :hmmm:

So... here we go again... it's that time again !! :yahoo:

As always, work slows me down, and this long, drawn out winter we are trying to call spring has everyone in a lousy mood... but there is glue to sniff, plastic to cut and we are cookin' right along ! Working on the fuselage sides had me eyeing that intake and mid fuse area... I was NOT happy with it ! Time to get nasty ! :fight:

I got out my chisel blade and started cutting...

o75E1FB.jpg

Strips of plastic were added to take out the 'coke bottle waist. A new rib was added and the planking glued on and sanded to shape. An intake ramp was made from scrap bits and tube.

49qUJOT.jpg

KhKtEkX.jpg

But before I tackle the other side of the fuse I wanted to figure out those big things below the Fuse... so I started cutting plastic...

9gLZQ9V.jpg

Framing up, adding doublers on the edges and building insert detail..

HPCRAdq.jpg

gn6HHf8.jpg

grooved Evergreen sheet for front and rear openings...

TwI8oGg.jpg

And with some sanding, some tubing cut to size, I think this came out pretty good...

WxIUv6a.jpg

NytWzGe.jpg

Propped up at the right height it looks close to the drawing... think I'm happy with this....

HR5sbGV.jpg

Now I just gotta do it all again on the other side.... wish me luck and we'll see what happens next week !!