Kinetic F-86F 40 ext wing, can I covert to Korean War Sabre?

1to1scale

Hi wunwinglow

The Kinetic kit is labeled WP13201, F-86F-40 Sabre "ROKAF", no mention of NATO. That was what was confusing me. It is labeled correctly being a -40 version for the wings it has. Does this mean Kinetic did 3 boxings? Korean -30, Korean -40 and a NATO -40?

The kit WP13201 is a Wolf Pack boxing with Kinetic plastic. The same plastic as the F-40 Nato Kinetic boxing. For a RAF Sabre you need the F-30 and the do the small detail chances for the Canadair Sabre Mk4.

Hope it helps

Nick

Here's a helpful tutorial that Jennings Heilig put out years ago regarding the different Sabre wings.

38473126175_deaf6390aa_c.jpg[/url]

I recently built a 48th scale Sabre 4, sort of.  It's not a true Sabre 4 because, as has been previously mentioned, no manufacturer makes a true North American F-86E or Canadair Sabre 2 or 4 in 48th or 32nd scale.  Canadair Sabres that were delivered to the RAF were equipped with the narrow chord slatted wings of the Canadair Sabre 4.  The Sabre 4 was basically a Sabre 2 with some modifications.  Some of these Sabres were retrofitted by the RAF with the '6-3' wing leading edge with the fence.

In this photo of the decals I used, you can see that Sabre on top is fitted with the '6-3' fenced wing and the lower two have the narrow chord, slatted wing.  On the top Sabre, you can see a vertical line at the back of the shark mouth that goes to the bottom of the plane and it is partly covered by the wing root.  In the same spot on the bottom two aircraft, you will see that this vertical line is uninterrupted.  The square panel directly in front of the wing root is the ammo box loading door.  As Tony alluded to, there was a small piece of the wing's leading edge, at the root, that had to be removed in order to open the ammo box door on the Sabre 5 / 6 and F-86F-30 and -40.  That part is what's covering the vertical line in the photo of the sharked mouthed (112 Sqn) Sabre.

24812096318_2bf7397631_c.jpg

Further, williamj, did a build a while back of a 427 Squadron, RCAF, Sabre.  I'm not sure which kit he used (Hasegawa or Kinetic) but it was a '6-3' slatted wing kit and he modified it, with step-by-step instructions including measurements needed to remove material form the wings, in order to transform it from a '6-3' wing to the narrow cord wing of a Sabre 2.  The same measurements could be used to replicate the wings of a Sabre 4.

Clear as mud?

Mike

RAF Sabres: Some were delivered with the slatted wing; some were retrofitted with the 6-3 wing; and some were delivered with the 6-3 wing. Duncan Curtis's "Canadair Sabre in RAF Service" tells you which was which. Wunwinglow, the F-30 kit is good for many RAF Sabres, the book will tell you which is which down to serial number and squadron.

Thanks Mike, I was getting a few mixed messages which didn't seem to quite jive with the pics I was finding. Since I seem to have both wings between the two kits I have, I think I am good to go. When I checked the other kit I found it also had several AM sets, an intake, undercarriage bays and doors, pitot probes, an AMS cockpit and drop tanks; I think I am more than good to go!! Maybe just some wheels? One of the canopy mouldings has a slight crack in it but I think I can seal that with varnish. I really do just need the specific RAF gunsight and other small items. I can only thank the chap who sold me the Italeri kit and included all the extras!

Edited by wunwinglow

Not according to Duncan's book, Jennings. There is a pic of a Bechers Brook 8 ferry group, and they are wearing a 6-3 wing from manufacture. There is another pic of Bechers Brook 10 and again the 6-3 wing right from Canadair. Duncan lists in his book which aircraft were delivered with the hard wing, and it's a bunch.

Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a