WnW Sopwith Snipe (early)

1to1scale

Man that cockpit looks fantastic when its all together.  You guys are really making want to build one of these kits.  You might have already said but what did you use for the 'grain' part of the wood?  Is it a wash?

Bryan

Can't wait, get that camera out!!

unfortunately, this week, my iPhone died, both printers dead, my work laptop is fried, so my camera is my iPhone, and I need to wait for a warranty replacement. I have had a very bad week with electronics. When I finally get my replacement, I'll take some pictures.

Man that cockpit looks fantastic when its all together.  You guys are really making want to build one of these kits.  You might have already said but what did you use for the 'grain' part of the wood?  Is it a wash?

Bryan

Most everyone is using oil paints on Tamiya paint, we are basically painting the grain on.

I should add that with as little as you see into the tiny cockpit holes, you could just do a "woodish" color, or use wood decals on larger sections. I plan to try a build using decals instead of painting.

Most everyone is using oil paints on Tamiya paint, we are basically painting the grain on.

Mark, the cockpit really looks beautiful. I know the feeling of seeing it disappear, but it's surprising how much you can still see after everything is finished. It's certainly more than most WW2 birds. Keep up the great work, your making me jealous.

You're right!  Although so much does disappear, a lot of the WWI aircraft designs seem more open and roomy than a WWII counterpart, and of course, they aren't all buttoned up with canopies and the like.

Depends on which airplane you are talking about I guess.  Some are more restrictive than others.  The Albatros D V is pretty bad.  This Snipe is a good bit better or more open.

The work, Mark, is fantastic.  

I have a Snipe from WNW in my future.

A little progress, I started painting all the service gray components, closed up the fuselage, and filled in any minor gaps with acrylic putty, smoothed the seams over with a cotton bud and thinner. I will mask the upper cowl and throw on a second coat of gray. Next is the wing painting, masking, and shading. There really are not many parts left to fit.

jxwqL9W.jpg

7yWVGzk.jpg

Lol. No shading yet, that was just light.

Here is the shading. I mixed up a custom shading tint, I used Tamiya clear green, red, yellow, and smoke to make a dark brown mix. I then sprayed a light coat over the top of all the tape lines, this gave a pretty good shading. I might have gone a dark, but we will see after it's all sprayed in matt clear. It took way longer to tape all the ribs than to actually spray it.

ui2riH3.jpg

8Db5el1.jpg

P9XwP4q.jpg

B5fYROq.jpg

2ZFIQo3.jpg

u9TDL57.jpg

gnRxJ1T.jpg

Edited by 1to1scale