Alternatives for Photobucket

Eagle Driver

Apparently the option to get the codes is only in the full browser version. The iOS app only allows copy the link.

Agreed, does not work with the iPad/iPhone app. I just tried. Strange. I thought that feature existed last time I was on it, 6 months ago...

Oh well, another reason why I will not choose them... I'm down to SmugMug and ImageShack in my options, both paying, but both offering clear T&C, and no advertising banners, and trying just to be image-hosting services, nothing more ...

Hubert

Is it so out of the question to ask the forums to make it so you just just upload from your computer?

Model ship world does it.

I am admin on Model Ship World. We have real time monitoring of the forum with regard to malicious code injection via uploads etc. It isn't cheap, but if anything looks amiss, it's dealt with at source and removed. We also operate through a proxy firewall. We are as confident as we can that allowing our 29,000 members to upload their build logs, won't cause any harm. The same system is operated at Large Scale Modeller, as they are co-hosted, and under the same security package, with the same allowances.

Edited by JamesHatch

Link shows how to edit on imgur as well as you scroll down..

How to Upload Images to Imgur (with Pictures) - wikiHowhttps://www.google.co.uk/amp/m.wikihow.com/Upload-Images-to-Imgur%3Famp%3D1

Thanks. I don't have problems uploading images. It's the direct linking. the issue is that you can't do that from the app. You have to do it from the browser to get the codes. It's a weakness in the iOS app.

So now everyone starts migrating to new free sites...

Is this not just postponing the inevitability of other sites mirroring PB tactics? Won't the same situation evolve in the future? What when Imgur starts charging? Then what?

Frankly, since LSP stopped hosting photos, I have not posted a photo here in years. I understand the concerns raised here about that idea (viruses, viable hosts, etc), but lack the computer "savy" to really comprehend it all in detail. I do know this, I won't have my images hosted by some other site for all to see given some of the T&C I read.

Mark Proulx

Is this not just postponing the inevitability of other sites mirroring PB tactics? Won't the same situation evolve in the future? What when Imgur starts charging? Then what?

Frankly, since LSP stopped hosting photos, I have not posted a photo here in years. I understand the concerns raised here about that idea (viruses, viable hosts, etc), but lack the computer "savy" to really comprehend it all in detail. I do know this, I won't have my images hosted by some other site for all to see given some of the T&C I read.

Mark Proulx

No, Ive never had a free account with ANYone. Im in Huberts boat, and have no clue where they think the cost is being covered for teh free users. Ive been paying PB for years, and am now down to either SmugMug or ImageShack, both have 0 free accounts available. Ill gladly pay for a good service. 

Mark Proulx

The industry has been pretty decent up until now.

It's only PB taking the mickey. There's no reason to believe that any other site will want to lose customers & manufacture pages of bad publicity, resulting in a poor reputation and a steady migration of customers to other sites deemed to be fairer.

They must be throwing parties at Flickr, Imageshack, et al. 

ImageShack used to be free, with advertising. They changed their model in 2014, and went for paying customers only. But at USD 47.88 per year, they have taken a more reasonable approach than PB.

Still balancing between the two. But, whereas SmugMug have a 14-days free trial, you have to pay up-front for Imageshack. I like SmugMug overall philosophy as exposed on their site better, and their features look pretty slick. But they seem to have pic-size limitations on linking which ImageShack do not have ...

Very clear though that I will not go for a so-called "free" hosting site, although I can perfectly understand that others do ... while it lasts :)

Hubert

Still balancing between the two. But, whereas SmugMug have a 14-days free trial, you have to pay up-front for Imageshack. 

Actually Hubert, ImageShack has a 30 day free trial. You just have to click "skip" when it asks you to subscribe up front. Im using it right now, and I quite like it. I like that there is no size limitations like you said.

I also like the extra bit of simplification. I like SmugMug too, (have their 14 day free trial too) but it almost seems like their site has a bit too much control, as there are so many options, its hard to get to a place I like. 

Is there an app for Imageshack to sync photo's taken with a phone? I use my phone for all my photo's, and Flickr automatically uploads them - so they appear, as if my magic, in my account.

No such luck with Imageshack? I have to download the photo from Flickr, then upload it to Imageshack - which kinda defeats the object and suggests I should stick with Flickr? 

Is there an app for Imageshack to sync photo's taken with a phone? I use my phone for all my photo's, and Flickr automatically uploads them - so they appear, as if my magic, in my account.

No such luck with Imageshack? I have to download the photo from Flickr, then upload it to Imageshack - which kinda defeats the object and suggests I should stick with Flickr? 

Dean,

There is "ShackIt". Also on that same page is "ImageShack Resize":

https://imageshack.com/applications

Edited by Out2gtcha

That makes 3 apps :( ...

On that front SmugMug wins ... Btw, I had an ImageShack account, but never upgraded to the paying option. Not sure I can get 30-days free trial...

Hubert

PS: Dean, almost impossible to get the BBCode for sharing pics with Flickr... that kind of defeats the benfits of uploads from the phone/pad ...

Edited by MostlyRacers

That makes 3 apps :( ...

On that front SmugMug wins ... Btw, I had an ImageShack account, but never upgraded to the paying option. Not sure I can get 30-days free trial...

Hubert

I have a SmugMug account too Hubert. What do they offer that is better? Im curious as I have not played with their apps yet.