Wilhelm Hipperts Jasta 74 "Mimmi"

Out2gtcha

Brian,

The painted rib effect really looks quite good, and rather then using tape as ribs that would most likely be an issue under the wing decals, you method removes any chance of that issue from popping up. 

As far as the PE gun jackets, have you ever tried using a series of smaller and smaller round formers starting with the largest one and working down to one about the size that you need? Some kind of rubber roller used over the surface of the PE each time to work it into shape just might work.

Joel 

Brian bro, the preshading will look really nice under the Aviattic linen decals for the DVII... it will show through just enough, can't wait to see you do your magic on them once they arrive...

Since its the first time you are using them you're going to notice they are quite different from the usual decals you've used before. They are thin, conform well, but you will find they are very 'rubbery'. They take alot of abuse before ripping, you'll be surprised. On the downside, they are difficult to trim correctly except with the sharpest of blades, and once really dry otherwise they will stretch while you trim them. Some people use the sol/set treatment to get them to conform but i find they conform very well once left alone after bedding them down well. I use the hardcore stuff on them (walther's Solvaset), but only on the difficult reliefs like fuselage stitching, or similar, and am very careful when i do so as when used heavy handedly, solvaset tends to literally melt them down. Diluted it really works a treat, much better than sol/set, for me at least...

By the way your new smugmug website looks tip top!

Looking forward to your update

Karim

Gazzas, TJ,  Joel, Karim, thanks much for the kind words  of encouragement!  

As far as the PE gun jackets, have you ever tried using a series of smaller and smaller round formers starting with the largest one and working down to one about the size that you need? Some kind of rubber roller used over the surface of the PE each time to work it into shape just might work.

I did try at first the round former that WnW provides which is the correct shape, but the metal jackets just wanted to kink.  

I then when to my PE rolling set, which has consecutively smaller rolling pins, but without annealing, the jackets just wanted to pinch and kink with SUCH a small rolling diameter. That was the main issue; the size of the jackets was so small that it prevented the metal from flowing around the metal former and instead kinked in a couple places.
I dont think that would have happened if i had annealed the metal first.

However, I have looked at the GasPatch Spandaus, and they like the Vickers K guns for my Walrus above, they are little works of art. Expensive for what you get yes, but this is our hobby/passion, so again in this instance I cut myself some slack.

Brian bro, the preshading will look really nice under the Aviattic linen decals for the DVII... it will show through just enough, can't wait to see you do your magic on them once they arrive...

Since its the first time you are using them you're going to notice they are quite different from the usual decals you've used before. They are thin, conform well, but you will find they are very 'rubbery'. They take alot of abuse before ripping, you'll be surprised. On the downside, they are difficult to trim correctly except with the sharpest of blades, and once really dry otherwise they will stretch while you trim them. Some people use the sol/set treatment to get them to conform but i find they conform very well once left alone after bedding them down well. I use the hardcore stuff on them (walther's Solvaset), but only on the difficult reliefs like fuselage stitching, or similar, and am very careful when i do so as when used heavy handedly, solvaset tends to literally melt them down. Diluted it really works a treat, much better than sol/set, for me at least...

By the way your new smugmug website looks tip top!

Looking forward to your update

Karim

Thanks Karim!   I will definitely take those tips!!   Good to know, as I tend to use setting liquid myself. I will try using MicroSol first before Solvaset to make sure I dont melt anything.  

Well, 

while I didnt get my Gaspatch Spandus nor my Aviattic lozenge decals yesterday, per USPS I should be getting them today. That is a GOOD thing, as last night I got both sides of both wings finished off in a nice gloss.  Im ready to go for the Aviattic lozenge decals, then I can move forward with assembly and weathering.

Yay!  

Cheers to all!

Brian,

I'm really looking forward toward seeing what those Gaspatch Spandus look like.  Do they come as a "kit" or completely assembled? 

I'm also waiting for a box from Sprue Brothers to be delivered today with the Kitty Hawk Bronco AV-10A/C, AOA decals, and some goodies, but not to much. This believe it or not is going to be my 1st co-entrant in a IPMS contest, the 2018 Noreastcon in 38 years!! Sure seams like I've gone full circle. 

Joel

Brian,

I'm really looking forward toward seeing what those Gaspatch Spandus look like.  Do they come as a "kit" or completely assembled? 

I'm also waiting for a box from Sprue Brothers to be delivered today with the Kitty Hawk Bronco AV-10A/C, AOA decals, and some goodies, but not to much. This believe it or not is going to be my 1st co-entrant in a IPMS contest, the 2018 Noreastcon in 38 years!! Sure seams like I've gone full circle. 

Joel

Nice!  I've built x2 of the KHM OV-10s, a D model and an A. Both great little kits!  Great build, and lots of fun to add extra stuff to...................

Just a word of caution, everything is great with the kit, except the extreme plastic only cantilever gear. The OOB gear splay mad crazy with negative camber. If you dont add some positive camber to the gear while off load, they will make the bird look like it weighs 75 tons. 

Well, here we go again.............

Now that I have pretty much settled on SmugMug, I feel a bit better about uploading more pics into my SmugMug account; NOW associated with the domain I just purchased, "www.Out2gtcha-Studios.com"

Happily proceeding on how, as I am REALLY a happy boy today!  I got in two of the things I really needed to keep going; The Aviattic lozenge decals and my GasPatch Spandaus!!   :D

Yay! Back in another min with pics.........

First up, the now completely dried gloss clear-coated wings. I used some MM "Ultra Gloss" right out of the rattle can, and it dried super bombproof, and very smooth:

20170705_180938-XL.jpg

20170705_180928-XL.jpg

The Aviattic lozenge decals came in and they look beautiful and go down very nicely indeed:

20170705_175924-XL.jpg

I actually DID get a start on the lozenge decals last night, but it was late, and didnt snap any pics. More pics of that later.............

I also received in my shipment yesterday, the set of gorgeous GasPatch Spandau machine guns. Everything you could hope for, albeit a bit on the pricey side:

20170705_180030-XL.jpg

20170705_180116-XL.jpg

20170705_180145-XL.jpg

20170705_180408-XL.jpg

I actually didn't snap any pics of the lozenge decals process yet. Just was too tired last night, and I still have stuff to fix at this point anyway. Ill fix up the little bit of touching up I need to do on the decals, then will snap some pics of the progress. 

Cheers! 

Brian,

The MM Ultra Clear Gloss really looks glossy. I've been using Testors Glosscoat and Dullcoat since my adult return in the mid 1970s. Never had an issue, but never got that type of rock hard gloss shine either. I've always assumed that the rattle can was the same as the bottle clears. Sure doesn't look like that.  If so, then maybe I need to rethink my application methods, and really pump up my psi to near 30 psi from the 18 psi I now shoot it at, and really open up the flow rate as well. 

Those GasPatch Spandau machine guns look incredible, and I can see them as a must have. Mind sharing the cost with us?

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Brian,

The MM Ultra Clear Gloss really looks glossy. I've been using Testors Glosscoat and Dullcoat since my adult return in the mid 1970s. Never had an issue, but never got that type of rock hard gloss shine either. I've always assumed that the rattle can was the same as the bottle clears. Sure doesn't look like that.  If so, then maybe I need to rethink my application methods, and really pump up my psi to near 30 psi from the 18 psi I now shoot it at, and really open up the flow rate as well. 

Those GasPatch Spandau machine guns look incredible, and I can see them as a must have. Mind sharing the cost with us?

Joel

Thanks Joel.  For sure, the MM Ultra gloss is great right out of the can. But with MM going bye, bye, Im not sure how much longer it will be around. Part of the thing with the MM gloss is it comes out of the rattle can pretty heavy looking, but is ultra self-leveling, so dries rock solid and shiny as all get out with 1 pass. 

Nope, dont mind sharing how much I blew on the GasPatch guns! :lol:    For the hassle I'm saving they are worth it, but once I figured up shipping added on to the two guns, it came out to roughly $12 a gun. 

Worth it?  

To me yes, but Im sure that would be a ludicrous amount to spend on two little miniature model airplane guns to a lot of people. I know for a fact though, Ive spent a lot more, to get a lot less over my lifetime.  :lol: 

Brian,

I guess the difference isn't what's in the rattle can, but the psi pressure used to deliver the paint from the can which must be 2 to 3 times that of what we use in air brushing. 

I would concur that $12 per gun for that level of detail and accuracy is well worth it. 

Joel

Brian,

Joel

MM Ultra Clear Gloss is not the same as Testors Glosscote. Totally different formula. It's great from the can (but it sprays just a bit too heavy for my tastes) and better yet, sprays beautifully from an airbrush when thinned with  Mr Color Leveling Thinner. Dries very fast and rock hard, and is impervious to decal solutions. 

Edited by modelingbob

Thanks guys!

Pretty much my thoughts on the GasPatch stuff. You get what you pay for genrally. These are no exception. Even WITH annealing, no WAY I could get the OOB guns to look as good as the GP ones.

Brian, I agree on the guns. So much so, I bought two sets of Lewis guns for mine. They hang right out for all the world to see, so they e real important.

Agreed, they attract a lot of attention because they are in fact hanging out in the wind. 

MM Ultra Clear Gloss is not the same as Testors Glosscote. Totally different formula. It's great from the can (but it sprays just a bit too heavy for my tastes) and better yet, sprays beautifully from an airbrush when thinned with  Mr Color Leveling Thinner. Dries very fast and rock hard, and is impervious to decal solutions. 

Very true Bob. Its just a shame they both will be going away!   I have decanted the MM Ultra Gloss several times, and it just take a wee bit to de-gas. You are right, the particulate comes out pretty heavy in the rattle can, but again the stuff is pretty self leveling so even when I think I have too much on, it seems to settle down nicely after drying. 

Not sure what Ill be moving to after the MM stuff goes away.....................Im thinking of exploring some of MRPs cellulose based clears. 

Tonight, its on to finishing up the lozenge decals!  I only have the outer sections of the upper 1/2 of the upper wing left to do, so pics as soon as I can. 

Cheers! 

Edited by Out2gtcha

Brian,

it's my understanding that the Model Master line isn't being discontinued but rather they're deleting those colors that don't sell very well. It could very well be that their standard paint rack  has no more available spots, so as new colors are planned, some colors need to go. 

Joel

Brian,

it's my understanding that the Model Master line isn't being discontinued but rather they're deleting those colors that don't sell very well. It could very well be that their standard paint rack has no more available spots, so as new colors are planned, some colors need to go.

Joel

I hope that is the case!!!

I called Rustolium a couple times and so did another gent on here, and although I didn't get through, he did and said they were discontinuing the whole line.

I sincerely hope that you are right. MM has been deleting several colors that don't sell (camouflage gray is a prime example) for awhile now. I hope they are just pushing forward with more individual color deletions instead of deleting the whole line.

Ive used Model Master since I was a kid.

Edited by Out2gtcha