Star Destroyer "Imperium I-Class" - 1/2700 by Revell/Zvezda +

elmarriachi

Things are a real mess at the moment with my life and lots of things are up in the air now as my mum passed away earlier this morning.  She hated the model kits.

So sorry to hear this, Dave. My condolences mate. Time to take stock, for sure.

Kev

So sorry to hear this, Dave. My condolences mate. Time to take stock, for sure.

Kev

I'm actually trying to keep myself busy in order to deal with everything Kevin.  I've had a good day today, made sure to get out of the house and spend time with people and talk about what's happened etc.  I also managed a good night's sleep last night which helped I think.  I'm mum's power of attorney/executor of the will, so I need to stay sharp and organise everything now.  As well as juggle a household by myself and look after all our pets.  As well as manage full time university studies.  A busy boy is Dave!  Thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I have added some further parts to the star destroyer. Mainly the side panels between upper and lower hull as well as further details on the super structure.

The rear part of the main ship is glued to the lower hull and the engines from Falcon3D added. These are very good quality, although the big engines were deformed a little bit (egg-like).

A bath in hot water brought these back in the correct round shape now.

Now it is time for drilling holes, holes and more holes for the lights ... :) 

727m3dql.jpg

jsecwory.jpg

5ev59bv4.jpg

g9qh8it6.jpg

wo7jyil7.jpg

8iu5xlq2.jpg

6yh88zmq.jpg

Cheers

Micha

Hey Michael,

What size holes are you looking to drill?  I see a lot of people are doing .5mm with this kit, but I honestly think that that is too large and that .25mm would be better.  

Are you going to drill holes in the side plates as well as the upper and lower deck pieces?  

Did you also get the Falcon3D garbage chute assembly and shield generators (the latter of which look the best of the current after market parts currently available)? 

I caved in 2 nights ago and bought this kit from a Russian EBay seller and I'm looking forward to it arriving.  

Oh, and have you given any thought to the paint job/colour scheme?  

Thank you very much for your interest! 

Oh ... I bought mine also from a Russian ebay-seller ... without carton and instruction for a good price :) 

Yes, the garbage chute also arrived :) And the shield generators ... :) 

I will test which size of the holes I will drill ... 0,25 or 0,5 - just waiting on the fibres for this model. For the Executor-Class I will use the 0,25mm size ... here I am not 100% shure yet :)  Holes have to be drilled in the side parts of the hull, the super structure, the command bridge ... and the hangar and the engines ..... :) 

Regarding the painting - not shure yet ... some light grey color with some black washing maybe .... but not shure yet ... :) 

Cheers

Michael

Michael, I came across this in another forum's thread on this Zvezda kit - images of the actual studio model (I believe it's the 8' from TESB):

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=B9FE0AEBDC25FDBC%211139&cid=B9FE0AEBDC25FDBC

there's tonnes of images, and I've had problems downloading them, so ymmv.  This has been publicly shared by the owner btw.

There's some talk that the ISD in ANH and TESB were White, and the lighting during shooting made them look Grey, that might be the case, but it's almost impossible to be sure, which is very frustrating.  If only we had accurately colour balanced images from the day...I can't trust the images from the above onedrive link, cos I don't know if the person who took them took any care with regards to WB (White Balance) accuracy or not.  I tend to use a hand held sekonic light meter for things like this...I'm going to examine the images and think long and hard about colours.  

The studio model from ANH didn't have much lighting, that was enhanced for the studio model in TESB, which was obviously a lot larger, allowing for more realistic lighting imho.  I still think .25mm will be a more appropriate size for the Zvezda kit!

• 3 weeks later...

well my kit has arrived, took just over 2 weeks to get from Russia to Australia.  Given that prior experiences with Russia post have well, not been good (items arrive but are slower than a dead snail nailed to the floor!), I was surprised.  I am very impressed with the quality of the kit - for the money, this is a no brainer!  

I am tempted to try and light this kit, but I have never done any lighting before and suck @ electrical stuff.  My main concern is drilling - I'm worried about breaking the actual plastic parts and ruining the kit.  I have a small pin vice (this one actually, https://www.hobbytools.com.au/swivel-head-pin-vice-1mm-3mm/). I just can't believe that there's no commercially available battery powered low RPM electrical drill that can take bits down to 0.1mm...I think that I won't bother to light this kit, just build it OOB.  I may (when funds permit), purchase a 2nd one and light that instead.  

I've been to Bunnings (local hardware store chain in Australia) and bought some copper piping and dowel, as well as resin glue.  I couldn't get doweling to fit the copper pipe (or anything else that I looked at) perfectly, so will have to wrap some masking tape around said dowel to make the OD larger so that it's a snugger fit into the copper piping.  I was able to pick up a really nice piece of thick pine for the display base from a very local sawmill that I didn't even know existed (even though I've driven past it hundreds of times lol!).  

Are there any updates on your drilling progress Michael?