Zoukei-Mura SWS03: A-1H Skyraider U.S. Navy

LSP_Kevin

Shane,

Outstanding. :wow:

Joel

Thanks Joel,

I started a WIP on my Air Force Sandy. More pics should be coming soon as I'm in the process of painting and finishing it up now. I'll post some cockpit pics as well. I used the kit cockpit on my Navy A-1H and used the Aires pit on my A-1J. Not that it's needed but the Skyraider is in my top 5 favorite aircraft so I went over the top on it. Aires cockpit, Daco, AMS and Video Aviation underwing stores. Zotz decals.

Ben,

I certainly admire you for sticking to a max amount for a kit purchase. I keep on setting limits, but I keep on breaking them. I gotta learn to live/model within my means, as I'm just about fully retired, and my modeling war chest will certainly be taking a major beating. At least as far as my wife is concerned.

Joel

I have a similar dilemma, Joel. My price threshold is actually quite low these days, so many LSP kits, are off my list now. I won't hesitate to spend the $300 for the 1:16 Jagdtiger in August though, I can tell you that.

My problem is that we bought a house 2 years ago which is killing most of my budget. When I was still living with my parents, I had no problem spending $150+ on a kit but these times are over. 

Great build Tom! Where did you get the Yankee seat or scratch built? Thanks.

Chuck

ZM A-1H comes with it (sprue A) but not called out in the H instructions. On their USA site you can get the A-1J instructions in pdf to see the other seat assembly:

http://volksusastore.com/webstores/scale/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=814

Edited by ziggyfoos

Great build Tom! Where did you get the Yankee seat or scratch built? Thanks.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck! The build was my first ZM kit, with just a few things to look out for as I recall: the rear fuselage fit, the cowling joints, and the wingfold.

Cheers, Tom

Thanks Joel,

I started a WIP on my Air Force Sandy. More pics should be coming soon as I'm in the process of painting and finishing it up now. I'll post some cockpit pics as well. I used the kit cockpit on my Navy A-1H and used the Aires pit on my A-1J. Not that it's needed but the Skyraider is in my top 5 favorite aircraft so I went over the top on it. Aires cockpit, Daco, AMS and Video Aviation underwing stores. Zotz decals.

Looking forward to reading through your WIP thread, as I'm sure I can pick up a lot insight into the build, as well as ideas to incorporate in my build.

Joel

T

IMG_7522.jpg
IMG_7529.jpg

Two of my build. I kept the folding feature of the wings.

Cheers, Tom

Tom,

Now that's really impressive. The folding wings look really good. I just might go that route but with just one wing folded. I do have several pictures of the USAF -1Js with their wings folded.

Joel

My problem is that we bought a house 2 years ago which is killing most of my budget. When I was still living with my parents, I had no problem spending $150+ on a kit but these times are over. 

Well, I really need more models like I need a third eye in my forehead, but there are those kits that still appeal to me, but just aren't practical to consider, at least for now. There are kits, however (like the Jagdtiger), that appeal to me so much, that I'm perfectly willing to forego other kits, so that I can purchase that one. Six $50 dollar kits vs one $300 kit, I can live with that.

Well, I really need more models like I need a third eye in my forehead, but there are those kits that still appeal to me, but just aren't practical to consider, at least for now. There are kits, however (like the Jagdtiger), that appeal to me so much, that I'm perfectly willing to forego other kits, so that I can purchase that one. Six $50 dollar kits vs one $300 kit, I can live with that.

Kev,

I do like your rationalization. But there aren't many $50 LSP kits out there these days that grab my attention. I keep on gravitating towards the ZM and Tamiya kits. Guess I just have to stop hanging out with Pete so much, as it's he's obviously a bad influence on me. :fight:

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

I don't buy many kits as my field of interest is pretty limited - in addition, I like doing things myself. The Z-M Spad is a must have for me, but not at any price. I am also tempted by a 1/18th scale Hornet kit from HPH but there are just too many other more important things I could do with that money (buying half a CNC milling machine for example). I love my hobby and it's very important to me, but as already mentioned - not at any price.