Revell Hawker Hunter - Swiss J-4013

amurray

Ummmm....  Sorry to say this, but I can't see the difference in terms of weathering.  To me, the bottom image has simply been repainted as the dayglo spine and leading edges don't entirely natch up in each of these images.

Perhaps this post doesn't count.  I'm not Swiss, never been there or even in the vicinity, but I have consumed locally made swiss cheese.

Cheers,

Michael

On 2/21/2024 at 5:04 AM, amurray said:

Pristine:

53542787910_d8f056cc31_z.jpg

Weathered:

32490326374_b9220a44d6_z.jpg

OK, I'll admit that I am an annoying swiss nitpicker ;-)

(proof: "Chuchichäschtli") :coolio:

My beancounting observations: Although this seems to be the same aeroplane (J-4013), it's definitively not the same overall paint job. In the faded version, the target roundels appear to be quiet a bit bigger, there are small differences all over the cammo pattern (p.ex. ID number 3 touching the dark grey border in the faded appearance, while beeing firmly embedded in olive drab in the pristine version), the sharp point of the nose dayglo touching the target roundel in pristine, but not in faded, white fuselage band missing in faded (?), usw. etc.

Judging from your admirable masking job, you have prepared your model for the pristine condition (those sharp points of the nose dayglo reaching back to the rear end of the windscreen), which is perhaps a bit unfortunate, because I vote for "weathered" ;-)

Greetings from rainy Bern.

Joerg

Edited by BlackCanopy
ID instead of serial number

BlackCanopy is quite correct - apart from anything else, gun blisters on pristine are not dayglo, whilst they are on the weathered example; plus the latter is missing the little emblem on the starboard side, the green over greys under the canopy are deffo different.

Which to paint?  The weathered is more interesting, but I do rather like the pristine example.

And I flew over Switzerland once.  I think.

On 2/22/2024 at 9:52 AM, BlackCanopy said:

OK, I'll admit that I am an annoying swiss nitpicker ;-)

(proof: "Chuchichäschtli") :coolio:

My beancounting observations: Although this seems to be the same aeroplane (J-4013), it's definitively not the same overall paint job. In the faded version, the target roundels appear to be quiet a bit bigger, there are small differences all over the cammo pattern (p.ex. ID number 3 touching the dark grey border in the faded appearance, while beeing firmly embedded in olive drab in the pristine version), the sharp point of the nose dayglo touching the target roundel in pristine, but not in faded, white fuselage band missing in faded (?), usw. etc.

Judging from your admirable masking job, you have prepared your model for the pristine condition (those sharp points of the nose dayglo reaching back to the rear end of the windscreen), which is perhaps a bit unfortunate, because I vote for "weathered" ;-)

Greetings from rainy Bern.

Joerg

Joerg,

You have a sharp eye for detail.  Depending on the vote I will make the requisite corrections to the best of my minimal talents.  Having said that, as I mentioned in an earlier post J-4013 was painted, re-painted and painted yet again over its long service life.  See yet another version below sans unit patch and target roundels but with different Day-Glo patterns on the nose and wings.  I'm not sure there is an incorrect scheme for J-4013 unless it be Bubble Gum Pink.

I tend towards the "Weathered" choice if for no other reason that I don't have the unit patch necessary for the "Pristine" version.  But be warned:  My wife has not voted yet.  :fight:

BTW I rode a Bonneville Triumph motorcycle through Bern in 1972.  It rained both days.  I think it always rains in Bern.  :wicked:

53546675835_e4cfdf12d9_k.jpg

Edited by amurray
Typo

1 hour ago, Mark_C said:

BlackCanopy is quite correct - apart from anything else, gun blisters on pristine are not dayglo, whilst they are on the weathered example; plus the latter is missing the little emblem on the starboard side, the green over greys under the canopy are deffo different.

Which to paint?  The weathered is more interesting, but I do rather like the pristine example.

And I flew over Switzerland once.  I think.

I had made note of these items but thanks for reminding me.

"And I flew over Switzerland once.  I think."

I gave Shoggz credit for 1.005 votes for having eaten Swiss cheese.  But he was positive in his statement.  As you are unsure as to whether you flew over Switzerland or perhaps the Bahamas I will assign a value of 1.0025 to your vote.  Some advice:  Next time flying over the area look for the pointy mountains and snow.  If you see islands, sand beaches and clear blue water, it's the Bahamas.  :D

9 hours ago, amurray said:

As you are unsure as to whether you flew over Switzerland or perhaps the Bahamas I will assign a value of 1.0025 to your vote.  Some advice:  Next time flying over the area look for the pointy mountains and snow.  If you see islands, sand beaches and clear blue water, it's the Bahamas.  :D

It was at night!

11 hours ago, amurray said:

Joerg,

You have a sharp eye for detail.  Depending on the vote I will make the requisite corrections to the best of my minimal talents.  Having said that, as I mentioned in an earlier post J-40113 was painted, re-painted and painted yet again over its long service life.  See yet another version below sans unit patch and target roundels but with different Day-Glo patterns on the nose and wings.  I'm not sure there is an incorrect scheme for J-4013 unless it be Bubble Gum Pink.

I tend towards the "Weathered" choice if for no other reason that I don't have the unit patch necessary for the "Pristine" version.  But be warned:  My wife has not voted yet.  :fight:

BTW I rode a Bonneville Triumph motorcycle through Bern in 1972.  It rained both days.  I think it always rains in Bern.  :wicked:

53546675835_e4cfdf12d9_k.jpg

I like this one Art!  :thumbsup:

Derek

15 hours ago, amurray said:

If anything, it has gotten worse with climate change since then. Probably the same amount of snow as in the Bahamas nowadays, cold rain having replaced the rest. :ninja:

7 hours ago, BlackCanopy said:

If anything, it has gotten worse with climate change since then. Probably the same amount of snow as in the Bahamas nowadays, cold rain having replaced the rest. :ninja:

In 1971 I learned to ski in Hoch Ybrig and Einsiedeln Switzerland.  Being from Alabama I had on blue jeans, a Ban-Lon short-sleeve shirt, an alpaca sweater and a corduroy jacket.  It was -5 degrees Fahrenheit.  I almost died.  I took a water hose at a gast haus and sprayed my jeans.  The water froze but created a wind barrier. We were several groups.  My friends from Miami and Atlanta - who couldn't ski -  had girlfriends from Vermont and upstate NY who were expert skiers.  A friend from the Swiss Army accompanied us and was assigned to look after me.  At the top of Hoch Ybrig I asked, "What do I do?"  He said, "I don't know.  I can't ski.  I thought you were going to teach me."  :doh:

A lesson in inflation:  I bought my skis, gloves and poles from the Migros on the Bahnhofstrasse in Zurich for the U.S. equivalent of $12.  At the time the Swiss Franc was 4 to the Dollar (i.e equal to 25 cents).  Today, one Swiss Franc buys 1.14 US Dollars.

I have Googled Einsiedeln over the years.  This week the temps are forecast in the 50's.  In 1972 I skied the entire month of March in Einsiedeln and Hoch Ybrig.