Eduard P-47D Thunderbolt "Dottie Mae" WIP

Guest DannyVM

Thank's Martin,

yes i know about the cowl problems, thank's for reminding me, i will surely keep this in my mind.

I have a question for you guy's??

Anybody know why the gun muzzles are closed?? 

It's the "Dottie Mae" so i like to know iff this was common practice??

Greetz

Danny

Answer is easy - protection. 

Same answer, just a little bit more "back-ground":

Gun-ports were often closed off with caps for protection against the elements. By closing them off, they were protected against water (rain), sand-dust and the like. All of these could cause the guns to fail when needed. The protective caps would be "blown out" by the first round fired in action. Aircraft which were equiped with guns "embedded" in the wing, would often carry small pieces of tape over the gun-ports for the same reason (Spitfire, etc.). Even in the jet-age this was (/still is) "common" practise. Looking at ref-material of the F-8 for example will often show caps installed in the gun-ports.

Besides protection, these caps (in some cases) served another pratical reason. If any of the guns malfunctioned during action, the protective cap would not have been "blown out". The presence of the cap would indicate a gun-malfunction after the mission easily so the armament-guy's could have a look at the gun, try to figure out the reason for the malfunction and fix the problem. (Providing the aircraft had survived the mission of course...)

Regards Rudy. 

Edited by Shujaa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

You are doing a brilliant job on this, I will be following with great interest.

I didn't even know that Eduard made a 1/32 P-47.  It sure looks like a fantastic kit.

Bryan,

Eduard didn't make the kit. It's one of their so called limited run kits. In this case the kit is the Hasegawa P-47D Razorback. They supply the PE and After Market parts. The decals are new artwork, and by printed by Cartgraf.

Joel