ME-109 Questions

mikethepoormodeler

Hey, folks.  Thanks to the Christmas raffle, and the generosity of DeanKB, I won the Eduard ME-109 E-7 Tropical and I have a few questions for the experts here.  The Squadron/Signal In Action book states that the -7 was identical to the -4 except for the pointed spinner and the centerline rack.  So, if I source a blunt spinner and leave off the rack, would that, in fact, be an E-4?  Also, if I leave off the tropical filter could I then paint this kit in the European paint scheme?  I prefer that scheme to the tropical, but want to make sure I'm not going in the wrong direction.  Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Judging from the instructions you have to use spinner part E22 (but both spinners will work for an E-4), use part A4 and F4 for the super charger intake, cut off the drop tank controls on PE 5/6 and don't use the drop tank rack. Thats all it seems.

Hi Mike, and welcome to the forum!

If I remember correctly the only difference (except as stated above) was that the E-7 had a greater fuel load, 700l with droptank., the E-4 had only the internal 400l tank, no provision for droptanks.

Cheers!

Stefan  :)

Hey, folks. Thanks to the Christmas raffle, and the generosity of DeanKB, I won the Eduard ME-109 E-7 Tropical and I have a few questions for the experts here. The Squadron/Signal In Action book states that the -7 was identical to the -4 except for the pointed spinner and the centerline rack. So, if I source a blunt spinner and leave off the rack, would that, in fact, be an E-4? Also, if I leave off the tropical filter could I then paint this kit in the European paint scheme? I prefer that scheme to the tropical, but want to make sure I'm not going in the wrong direction. Any advice and tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Mike,

When they first deployed to the MTO, many of the aircraft still wore the European camouflage for a time. The E-7 Profipak has some interesting schemes in those colours. Have a look at at the instructions from the Eduard website :

https://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/3004.pdf

And the E-4 for comparison:

https://www.eduard.com/store/out/media/3003.pdf

Externally the only differences between E-7 and E-4 are the spinner, external fuel tank and filter. Internally the E-7 had the fuel line in the cockpit on the starboard wall and the lower bomb/fuel tank controls under the main IP. The sprue shots show both spinners and standard intake are included, so if you want an E-4 you will be good to go with the E-7 package.

Regards,

Edited by Kahunaminor

If I remember correctly the only difference (except as stated above) was that the E-7 had a greater fuel load, 700l with droptank., the E-4 had only the internal 400l tank, no provision for droptanks.

Yep,  and capped spinners were not only used on E-7s,

E-4s could be retrofitted (Galland's for example).