Pre painted PE belts - I hate thee so....

ZachP319

I haven't tangled with these varmints yet, but I'm sure glad I read these posts. Painted IP's and consoles are ok, painted belts never made much sense. I have quite a few Waldron buckle sets and I use tin foil or the foil that comes off wine bottles for the belts. Now, that being said, you have to possess some surgeon skills looping foil through the buckles, some are tougher than others, but the results look good. I've even used masking tape as well. Got some good tips from you guys, and I'm grateful for this thread!

Try the newish Eduard Steel seatbelts.  The paint does not flake off and they shape and position easily without the need to anneal them.

OK, they dont look as good as the fabric ones but at least they dont drive you up the wall trying to thread them!!

https://www.hannants.co.uk/search/index.php?adv=1&product_category_id=&product_division_id=&manufacturer_id=7997&product_type_id=&code=&scale_id=953&keyword_search=Steel+seat&setPerPage=25&sort=0&search_direction=0&save_search_name=&save_search=

Yep, the flaking off of the paint has been the biggest problem in the past.   Nice to see there are other options!

Tim W.

Agree with you clunk. I have fabric for a lot of my builds but this Albatros had the belts and I decided not source others and use what I had. Now I have a closed up fisalsge and a missing lap belt on one side.....

......so annoyed

Zach

Hi Tony,

Have a look here:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=58699&hl=buckle

http://postimg.org/image/x7to9ykmx/

I got two sets from him last year. With some lead foil, this is what is required for most NATO jets.

Hth

Thierry

Thanks Thierry. Exactly what I need with coloured paper strips

(Unfortunately nearly everything we like here is screw-top)

Tony

Fortunately one of the FEW things Ive got going atm and am lucky *KNOCKS ON WOOD 3 TIMES*  I have excellent up close vision, but not quite so much with long distance reading.

I have a visor too, with multiple different levels of magnification............I just cant remember where its at ATM. 

Now that HGW has fully switched from the "cut-em-out-yourself" style fabric seat-belts to the pre-cut laser belts Im fully in love with them.  Super realistic, and easy to use IMHO. 

Ive seen some have good luck with PE belts and some with flexible plastic belts, but for my money, nothing beats the laser cut HGW belts IMHO. 

Using fabric belts?

Buy an Optivisor and use it.

I fought the idea of a visor for years, because I'm not one that ever liked looking like a nerd. I thought I was way too manly for one.

I finally gave up and bought one. I use it now for all my building.

I agree with this.

As good as my laser-assisted eyesight is, I've still not been able to manage zoom vision - despite hours of practice, staring at a wall clenching my bum cheeks & scrunching up my eyes.

So the Optivisor is great for close-in stuff. It just takes a while to get used to your hands not being where you think they are. 

Nice mental picture from that one mate.

Good job I'm a 21 year old female, Swedish, blonde, part-time underwear model and aviation modeller & geek. I love 1/32 kits & older men!

Otherwise it would be a bloody horrible sight, imagined or otherwise, if I was for instance, a middle aged, grey haired white bloke.

The danger of the Optivisor is when one or more of your ex Navy SEAL buddies comes over Saturday afternoon to drag your sorry hide to the rifle and pistol range and you answer the door to them with your Optivisor on.  My stock went WAAAAAY down the day it happened to me, and took months and many beers to fix...

I hope you weren't coming out of the bathroom, Ernie.