Six Camels!!

Guest Smitty44

The whole WETA thing has been a shambles from the start. Looks like I'll be sourcing from Hannant's in future, despite the mark-up in price.

Me too.  Luckily the 10% pre-order and collect from a show, or even the shop, is feasible for me.

The whole WETA thing has been a shambles from the start. Looks like I'll be sourcing from Hannant's in future, despite the mark-up in price.

There will be no mark-up.

Hannants are now getting a wholesaler discount, so they'll be selling at the same price as WNW, if not lower, with free delivery for £100+ orders.

Hannants gets a wholesale dealer discount for a whole lot of things for which they regularly charge significantly higher retail prices than almost anyone else.  I honestly don't see how they stay in business.  There is almost nothing they carry that I can't get cheaper from numerous other sources.

I agree. But sometimes their prices are low, especially with the 10% discount for pre-orders.

Their prices are fairly close, not the cheapest, but close enough for me sometimes.

Chiefly, their best point is that they have a live stock tracker, carry pretty much everything, send it out straight away & offer free postage for £100+ orders.

So I can order everything I need from one shop, get it delivered the next day for free, & know that it will be exactly what I ordered.

The debacle with WETA highlights that decent service is sometimes just as important as the price. At those times, I go to Hannants.

I must say my number one source of purchases is EBay. The PayPal guarantee is priceless, there is plenty of competition for my money & the feedback system is pure genius. It encourages sellers to treat you well enough to get positive feedback.

For selling books, I use Amazon. They store & ship my books on my behalf, so I don't get involved at all, other than putting the book on the Amazon system & shipping it to them. Stress free selling.

For selling books, I use Amazon. They store & ship my books on my behalf, so I don't get involved at all, other than putting the book on the Amazon system & shipping it to them. Stress free selling.

I've sold a few items on Amazon, but I've always had to ship them myself. I'll have to look into what you're referring to.

Hannants gets a wholesale dealer discount for a whole lot of things for which they regularly charge significantly higher retail prices than almost anyone else.  I honestly don't see how they stay in business.  There is almost nothing they carry that I can't get cheaper from numerous other sources.

Jennings,

Keep in mind there are nearly half a billion of European citizens who can purchase items from Hannants without paying VAT... There is currently no other similar reseller in Europe. If we go to Sprue or another reseller out of Europe, we have to add the VAT, the customs handling fee and possibly other taxes. This may easily add 30% to the price. From that perspective Hannants is not necessarily so expensive (for us). Moreover, they really do their best with regard to customer care service. Obviously, from the US, I understand the difference of perspective...

Thierry

Don't want to be a spoil, Thierry, but all European citizens have to pay VAT when they purchase anything from any European retailer.

This said, there is a simple rule that links gross margin requirements to the number of items in permanent stock for a retailer. To stay within Europe, an Aldi store with 1 000 different items in stock does not need as much margin as the Galeries Lafayette with 3.5 million lines in their stock. Purchasing power can compensate for some of this, but RSP will also be inflated because of that rule.

Hannants happen to have a very wide permanent stock (like Aviation Megastore in Schipol). This translates in availabiliy of items when others don't hold them. Add great service, and they are justifiably still in business... Can't eat the cake and still have it, as they say ...

Hubert

Of course you are right! I meant taxes over VAT.

Hannants price is the one I will pay for an article, not the Spruebrothers one except if my order goes under the radar but I have to say this is not the most common scenario.

Aviation megastore is also a huge shop from an airplane buff perspective. However, from a modeller perspective Hannants has clearly the largest model stock you can find in Europe and of course this has a cost.

Thierry

Jennings,

Keep in mind there are nearly half a billion of European citizens who can purchase items from Hannants without paying VAT... There is currently no other similar reseller in Europe. If we go to Sprue or another reseller out of Europe, we have to add the VAT, the customs handling fee and possibly other taxes. This may easily add 30% to the price. From that perspective Hannants is not necessarily so expensive (for us). Moreover, they really do their best with regard to customer care service. Obviously, from the US, I understand the difference of perspective...

Thierry

This is not correct. Anybody living in the EU has to pay VAT on purchases. If your shipping address is outside the EU, you don't get charged VAT.

Hannants happen to have a very wide permanent stock (like Aviation Megastore in Schipol). This translates in availabiliy of items when others don't hold them. Add great service, and they are justifiably still in business... Can't eat the cake and still have it, as they say ...

Hubert

Aviation megastore is also a huge shop from an airplane buff perspective. However, from a modeller perspective Hannants has clearly the largest model stock you can find in Europe and of course this has a cost.

Thierry

Somertimes it's worth paying the extra for the service - I know I will get good service from "Big H".  And I've been to the Oulton Broad Warehouse - it is huge!!

Y'know just checked the WNW site here in the States and all Camel kits still in "Coming soon" status. 

I gather they are selling at Hannants? Have many or any of you got one or some at home?

If so, it is really appropriate that they are selling in England!

BUT I have along with the rest been waiting all this time for the pending release.

With the big WETA debacle I think their release should have a reduced price now.

At least as an introductory for a specified time. Something to help ease the tension of this mess.