HAF 1/32 F-104G Italeri

spyrosjzmichos

Hi all! While waiting for the replacement canopies to arrive I've been spending some time on correcting a few things on the plane. While not yet complete these included sanding down the bose cone to better fit the fuselage, rescribing over a few panel lines that were covered by the decals and reapplying a wash on some areas.

I wanted to add a few photos of the oil and rain streak weathering and the results. I used Ammmo's oilbrushers for the first time. These were applied locally as filters to make colour variations on the camo. Application included yellow and light green on the green areas, buff and white on the brown areas and white on the fuel tanks.

20170206_135829_zpsfaaqxspd.jpg

20170206_135915_zpsbypy5ure.jpg

20170204_123715_zpse65j4upc.jpg

20170204_124128_zpsiakpyscw.jpg

20170205_175425_zpselidsdf0.jpg

The results of the oilbrushers were pretty good. But to be totally honest I feel these stuff are overhyped and pricey. I think using proper oil paints like Windsor and Newton or Abteillung is better value and you will get the same results.

Regardless, I did get a good result and here's some detail shots.

20170211_130132_zpszzbpfue1.jpg

20170211_130148_zpshhvrrn6f.jpg

20170211_130157_zpsyjcmguek.jpg

20170211_130213_zpsztt91tts.jpg

Hope you guys like it. Has anyone else used the oilbrushers? Would be interested to know your experience with them!

Hi Spyros. I rediscovered the oil paints a couple of months ago while weathering the Harrier and find out that my favorite application method is with a small piece of sponge + tweezers. It works for dabbing, scrubbing, brushing, just about everything. Even a very small piece of sponge can act as a brush.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rudy. Thanka for the feedback! Could you please let me know which part in particular is wrong so I can fix it? Thanks!

Hmmm, a bit difficult to explain but basically You have attached them "upside-down". What You need to do to correct them is:

1) carefully remove them

2) put the one You have on the left side, on the right side with the "sharp pointed side" pointing forward but the "long side" of the door "flush" with the underside of the fuselage.

3) put the one You have on the right side, on the left side with the "sharp pointed side" pointing forward but the "long side" of the door "flush" with the underside of the fuselage.

I hope it makes sense. If not, just look up some images on google and have a good look at the nose-wheel doors. I am sure that You will be able to detect the mistake You have made... Cheers !

Regards Rudy.

Hmmm, a bit difficult to explain but basically You have attached them "upside-down". What You need to do to correct them is:

1) carefully remove them

2) put the one You have on the left side, on the right side with the "sharp pointed side" pointing forward but the "long side" of the door "flush" with the underside of the fuselage.

3) put the one You have on the right side, on the left side with the "sharp pointed side" pointing forward but the "long side" of the door "flush" with the underside of the fuselage.

I hope it makes sense. If not, just look up some images on google and have a good look at the nose-wheel doors. I am sure that You will be able to detect the mistake You have made... Cheers !

Regards Rudy.

Oh man! Saw what you meant! That was one silly mistake...

Fixed now!

Thanks Rudy!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Good to read that You have been able to figure out my "Mambo-Jambo" description of Your little boo-boo and even better to read that You have been able to correct it Spyro. She sure is looking tremendously good and I'm looking forward to see the end-result.

Here's another small "observation" You might wanna have a look at:

I've been studying Your work on the tip-tanks and I have been admiring Your stunning work on the "damaged" camouflage paintwork. What look's somewhat odd to me though, is that You have some stencilling running over the area which is fully intact... I would have expected for the stencilling to have worn off equaly to the paint-work. Of course; making the observation is the easy part but trying to replicate "worn-off stencilling" is quite something else...!!! Just something which You might look into since I'm pretty sure You would be able to replicate the worn-off stencilling, in regard to Your modelling skill's.

Keep up the good work !

Regards Rudy.

Good to read that You have been able to figure out my "Mambo-Jambo" description of Your little boo-boo and even better to read that You have been able to correct it Spyro. She sure is looking tremendously good and I'm looking forward to see the end-result.

Here's another small "observation" You might wanna have a look at:

I've been studying Your work on the tip-tanks and I have been admiring Your stunning work on the "damaged" camouflage paintwork. What look's somewhat odd to me though, is that You have some stencilling running over the area which is fully intact... I would have expected for the stencilling to have worn off equaly to the paint-work. Of course; making the observation is the easy part but trying to replicate "worn-off stencilling" is quite something else...!!! Just something which You might look into since I'm pretty sure You would be able to replicate the worn-off stencilling, in regard to Your modelling skill's.

Keep up the good work !

Regards Rudy.

Hey Rudy! Thank you so much! I really appreciate this feedback as it's the best way to improve and also correct mistakes which are easily missed either cause they are too small to notice or I don't know how the actual thing looks like.  :thumbsup:

Regarding the stencils I think I can wear them off with some sponge dipped in metallic paint. 

I also got my replacement canopies so this plane should be done by end of this week! 

You're welcome Spyro. In order to obtain the desired affect, You could also try to carefully "sand down" the stencil with some polishing-paper (grid 4000 // 5000). If You go slow, You can get some convincing results, however You need to be very carefull not to "burn through" Your paintwork.

Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to the end-result.

Regards Rudy.

You're welcome Spyro. In order to obtain the desired affect, You could also try to carefully "sand down" the stencil with some polishing-paper (grid 4000 // 5000). If You go slow, You can get some convincing results, however You need to be very carefull not to "burn through" Your paintwork.

Keep up the good work and I'm looking forward to the end-result.

Regards Rudy.

Thank you once again Shujaa! Will hopefully have it all done by the weekend!