Trumpeter 1/32 MiG-27 or 23BN ?

frogman13

Guys,

I'm dying to know.

Will Trumpeter release either the MiG-27 or MiG-23BN in 1/32 scale?

They just released a MiG-27 in 1/48 scale.  With 3 versions of the MiG-23 in 1/32nd, I thought that maybe we might expect a 27 or 23BN to follow along.

I could be wrong though...would not be the first time for that !

I heard a rumor though, but I want to hear that rumor again from more than one source before I get my hopes up.

Thanks

ED

Edited by frogman13

Sorry, I don't have any rumors, but would love to see a 1/32 Mig 27. However, there were some serious concerns over their 1/48 kit of the BN. In particular, the nose/canopy. I haven't seen anything on the 27 yet to see if it's the same. I would hope that they could address that if scaling things up to 1/32. What I'm really hoping to see are some 1/32 Fitters. That would be a bench clearer for me, especially the Su 17/22. That's one that actually WAS a rumor and there were even some test shot photos floating around of a built up example in bare plastic.

By the way, I was perusing your site, just the other night, after looking at your Egyptian Mig 17 for about the hundredth time (the one in the "Nile" camo). Great stuff and I would love to do one in the same fashion. It was very inspirational!

John

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Hi John,

Oh yeah, I'm right there with you on the SU-17/22.  Would absolutely love to build that one.  Of course a SU-7 would also knock me right out !  But getting back to the MiG-23 or 27, I just think a natural progression for a new kit would be for Trump to do the 23BN in the BIG scale as they already have the Flogger B kitted.  The duck nose ground attack floggers have alot of character and there are loads of countries that use this plane.

By the way, thanks for your compliment on my MiG-17.  Much as that kit is maligned, it can be turned into a decent model if you just keep thinking that it's alot better than a vacu-form !  Brings back memories of super=detailing the old Revell kits, which really got me going in scale modeling.  So much to fix and upgrade, and cheap too.  Just time investment.

Well hoping to hear more rumors....

Thanks,

ED

http://edokunscalemodelingpage.blogspot.com/

Ed,

I totally agree on the Su-7, too. So many cool schemes to do for that one!

It's funny that Trumpeter released the 1/32 Mig 23 first, then scaled it down to 1/48. But yes, it seems logical that they could do the reverse order with the 23BN/27 and surely hope they do.

John

P.S. I may want to ask for your assistance in the future for some Middle Eastern equipment and history questions. I'm toying with the idea of doing an "adversary" series featuring two 1/48 scale opponents from both the 1967 and 1973 conflicts. Already have a Mirage III and want to do the Egyptian Mig 17 to match for 1967 and a Mig 21 and something else IAF for '73. That's the plan, anyway.

Edited by mywifehatesmodels

Well, as we are still waiting for the 1/32 F-100F announced at least five years ago, I would not hold my breath... BTW, in spite it was first released in large scale, the F-100F was actually released in 1/48th scale.

Except the announced MiG-29 s (yet to be released), I did not see any new large scale plane topic from Trumpeter for at least the last five years. All the released kit were projects started before...

I have been asked by the marketing rep of wellknown Czech aftermarket company what to to add to the 1/32 range and suggested a BN conversion (and other stuff). Did so 2 years ago. Nothing there...

A LEM 27 is on my wishlist too. Next year, I guess.

Regards

- dutik

I have both the LEM Su-17/22 and Su-7 and they looks very good. The Su-7 is even better, as there is a real cockpit, even if it must be detailed to look very good (but for the Su-17 it must be made from scratch as there is only a plain tub with almost nothing else).

Of course an injected plastic would be better, but at the moment, i think others russian jets are still totally missing. I'm especially thinking about the Mig-25 and Su-15 (and why not a big Su-24?).

A Mig-27 would be great, but i dont know if it shares enough parts with the Mig-23 so it can be a base for a new kit. Maybe it would need a brand new engineering and that's why they did not released it as a Mig-23 variant yet, nor anybody released a simple resin conversion.

Edited by Zero77

External differences are the whole front including the cockpit, simplified intakes, shorter exhaust cone, relocated and more pylons, another gun unter the belly and a different undercarriage. You keep the main fuselage, wings, tailplanes, external stores. Of course the devil is in the detail - avoiding to mix up and mismatch the different details of the 27s subvariants, size and type of sensors, Paneel lines and such stuff, but in general it is doable. Trumpeters Mig-23 kits have a seperate front part (nose and cockpit). UC legs are metal parts in an extra bag. The engine is on it's own sprues so easy to replace with another one. Trumpy has different wing sets at hand to choose the correct one. Regarding the extra and relocated fuselage pylons adding a template with "drill holes here" instructions would solve the issue. If Trumpy want to do so - a Trumpeter Mig-27 is doable without much trouble.

Regards

- dutik

I really do respect what companies like LEM/Ruprator are doing. That is, bringing us subjects that mainstream companies haven't touched and, in some cases, likely won't. I've always tried to support companies like that. However, as I grow older and my kids keep me more busy than ever, my time at the modeling bench is more precious than ever before (because there's less of it). So, I'm getting to the point that I'm not as motivated to start a project that's going to require a lot of scratch and extra work to get a finished product, even though I've done a fair amount of those types of builds in the past. For those absolute "must haves" that will likely never be done in plastic, I may make the exception. But, for something like the Mig 27, where a large scale, plastic Mig 23 already exists, it's hard for me to justify the time and effort on a resin version that's going to take a lot of extra work to get a similar looking product.

John

I have been asked by the marketing rep of wellknown Czech aftermarket company what to to add to the 1/32 range and suggested a BN conversion (and other stuff). Did so 2 years ago. Nothing there...

A LEM 27 is on my wishlist too. Next year, I guess.

Regards

- dutik

Not sure which company it was, or what their scope is, but a 1/32 correction set for the Trumpeter Mig 23 ML/MLD variants may be something they would want to look into. In particular, the nose/cockpit/canopy area, which would probably be the biggest/easiest correction that is needed for those sub-types. All of them have their flaws, but I think the later variants are the most noticed. Just my opinion, though.

John

It's about marketing. How many Mig-23 correction sets does Zactoman sell? That is the issue. A conversion creating a Version looking totally different has much more sales potential than just a "plain correction" of a kit that looks (more or less) like the original. But they even put away the idea of a Mig-23 BN conversion...

And if you watch close the break down of the Mig-23 sprues: Trumpeter has definitly considered to make a BN and even a 27, but they did not until today...

Regards

- dutik