A29 Super Tucano US Marines LAS

Rick K

And it begins.  After looking at the Eduard PE offering for the Super Tucano I felt the access panels were slightly clunky looking and plentiful.  My biggest fear that one of the nearly 30 PE pieces would fall of from my clumsy handling long after the painting process.

I'm going in for Archer Decals.  Will be using a mix of mostly 1:48 and a few 1:32 access panels. 

Woody gave me some very much appreciated great coaching tips on applying these. 

IMG_5657.JPG

IMG_5659.JPG

On 5/20/2021 at 3:01 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Wow, great work Rick!    Really wish they would put one of these out in 32nd.  Lovely job on the Archer resin decals too.

Thanks Brian.

The Archer decals are nice with some care required on application.  This would be a nice "injection" subject in 1:32. 

• 2 weeks later...

Over 40 Archer resin decals applied.  I tried to match size with the Eduard PE pieces and came pretty close.  For me, I had to keep the water hot or the large resin pieces curled.  Also, do not trim the carrier film close to resin decal the carrier film is needed to allow the resin decal to nest on the surface properly.  Walthers decal setting solution was used, the film snuggled in quite nice.  After a day cure I hit all the decals with light coat of MLT, thanks for the tip Woody, and the film just blended in.

A few PE pieces to be annealed and glued into place then hit with primer.

IMG_5746(1).JPG

IMG_5754.JPG

IMG_5751.JPG

IMG_5752.JPGw

IMG_5748.JPG

IMG_5749.JPG

Edited by Rick K

Looks great Rick! Thanks for the plug, check's in the mail. B)

I never had much luck with that red glazing putty, it's always shrunk on me. A two-part filler never shrinks and this stuff is great, but the only problem is you have to buy a gallon ($27). Of all my auto body stuff I gave away, I miss this the most. 

_p_1_p12713zp.jpg

52 minutes ago, Archer Fine Transfers said:

Looks great Rick! Thanks for the plug, check's in the mail. B)

I never had much luck with that red glazing putty, it's always shrunk on me. A two-part filler never shrinks and this stuff is great, but the only problem is you have to buy a gallon ($27). Of all my auto body stuff I gave away, I miss this the most.

PM me for address to send box of Resin Decals.  ;)

Thanks for the tip on the EverCoat.  I'll keep this in my que.

So far Red Glazing putty has worked for me.  Did you use MLT to thin it?  I thin it down to a creamy texture and either shoot through a syringe or brush on.

31 minutes ago, Rick K said:

Did you use MLT to thin it?  I thin it down to a creamy texture and either shoot through a syringe or brush on.

No, never thinned it but that's probably a good way to keep it from skinning over before applying which was one of the problems I always had with it. Back in the 70s it was the only glazing putty we had for the cars we built.... whole lot of cursing because the stuff never stopped shrinking. I discovered Evercoat when I had this insane idea to restore an old pickup truck about 15 years ago. Stuff sands sooooo easily.

• 1 month later...
On 7/17/2021 at 10:45 AM, Pete Fleischmann said:

This looks great! The resin decals really add some extra pop. Nicely done.

Woody is the man…

I assume MLT is some sort of lacquer thinner? 

Cheers 

Pete

Google is very clear MLT is Medical Laboratory Technician, he must have found one sufficiently heavy to sit on the the decals until they cured that the decals laid down perfectly.  Brilliant solution...I would never have thought of it!

42 minutes ago, Timmy! said:

Google is very clear MLT is Medical Laboratory Technician, he must have found one sufficiently heavy to sit on the the decals until they cured that the decals laid down perfectly.  Brilliant solution...I would never have thought of it!

well don’t I feel stupit..

I googled it too- kinda expensive. Plus you gotta feed them-

On the off chance that MLT has nothing to do with Medical Laboratory Technicians in this case, I'm going to guess at another possibility: Mr Leveling Thinner (technically Mr. Color Levelling Thinner). I know those bottles don't weigh as much as a Medical Laboratory Technician, but I reckon they'd be just as effective.

Kev

On 7/18/2021 at 7:58 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

On the off chance that MLT has nothing to do with Medical Laboratory Technicians in this case, I'm going to guess at another possibility: Mr Leveling Thinner (technically Mr. Color Levelling Thinner). I know those bottles don't weigh as much as a Medical Laboratory Technician, but I reckon they'd be just as effective.

Kev

In all seriousness now that I know a more fiscally and socially responsible alternative, I’m going to try that.  I’ve seen armor guys squirt on lacquer thinner to smooth out paint and weathering layers.  Makes sense if the decal is genuinely lacquer a bit of it would help it melt to the paint.  Unscientifically, I’d guess it would work even better on non-water based paints.  But important safety tip Egon, “Always follow the Science!”

…BREAK…

Rick I love what’s going on here, unique build and Marine subjects are right up my alley.  I read every line of your posts and had no friggin’ ideer what MLT  meant.

LFTM

Timmy!

Edited by Timmy!

A question if I may? Why was it necessary to sand off primer on some of the locations and not others?

Ah the many uses of MLT. That product has so many useful applications.

Wingy

Edited by Wingy
typo

On 7/21/2021 at 2:35 PM, Wingy said:

A question if I may? Why was it necessary to sand off primer on some of the locations and not others?

Ah the many uses of MLT. That product has so many useful applications.

Wingy

Look carefully at the sanded areas at the Archer Decal.  See a "red" outline?  That is the original access panel on the kit.  I filled them with 3M putty then sanded smooth before placing the Archer Decal.

Primer base Gunze 1500 Black.  A few seams appeared and I dealt with them straight away.                                                    

Gave the canopy seam some love.  As in removal.   Starting with 3200 grit sanding sponge and progressing to 12000 grit I polished off the seam on the canopy and windscreen.

Will tint with Tamiya Smoke/Orange clear brew.

3F46738D-504F-4FC3-8D04-AD4FA7AFA506_1_1

8E9FB780-A49F-48BD-93E9-E2B3F8B26E42_1_1

Edited by Rick K