Zoukei Mura Skyraider

Fins Up North

I built the kit and really enjoyed it. I spent a year building mine and I won 1st in my category at IPMS Nationals in Colorado. The biggest thing to remember as you build a ZM kit, is take your time and fit/sand all parts before glueing them. Test fit, test fit and test fit again. If you build it exactly by the instructions the wing folds will work perfectly and the fold joint when the wings are spread will be as tight as it is on the real aircraft. I have a second ZM Skyraider in my stash and plan to build another. It's much more accurate in detail and shape than the Trumpeter kit. If you have any other questions along the build feel free to PM me anytime

Cheers

Shane

Edited by wrbrdmech

I built this beast. There are a lot of parts and the kit offers plenty of opportunity to expose interior items. I built mine closed up. I would say that if you are doing a closed up bird then take minimal time on the extensive interior fuselage and wing bits as you will be modeling for God. Only he'll know the details are there.

That said the whole thing went together pretty easily. The only real trouble spots were the engine exhausts which could have been my fault butI could not get them installed properly., and the wings. Kit tells you they can operate and be folded or unfolded as you please. I found I had to choose as I was unable to make them operate they way they were supposed to. Again that might have been just me.

It looks great when it is built and it was a very fun project.

Zach

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I learned a valuable lesson today: don't keep your Tamiya polishing compound in the same drawer as your Tamiya putty - putty can make a real mess of your canopy......

My mom learned a similar lesson on a cross-country trip many years ago. Except it was a mix up with toothpaste and dad's Brylcreem.

Edited by Bill_S

That's a drag.  Sorry to hear it.

Sincerely,

Mark

I started sanding and polishing to get the seam out....I ended up sanding and polishing a lot more to get the putty out. After all was said and done, I gave it a Future bath and it's going to be ok I think.....