1/32 KH T-28B VT-2 1971 WIP

Rotorhead

I flew this airplane as a student with VT-2 and later as a MC staff-pilot.  I have always had a soft place in my heart for the plane and was thrilled when Kitty Hawk came out with a 1/32 scale kit of the T-28.  I was fearful that that there would be a few deal breakers, the major one being the proper canopy profile for the B/C/D aircraft.  As it turns out KH got it right.

Brian Leitch did a really good review of this kit and I agree with him that there don't appear to be any deal breakers, just some room for personal improvement.

Brian' Review Link

I thought that I would start a Build-Log for my Kitty Hawk 1/32 T-28B as I didn't want to hijack anyone else's post.  It's really just in the planning stages right now because I will be waiting on Eduard's Cockpit Zoom PE for the cockpit dash and side panels (hopefully, April).  I'm also hoping that someone comes up with some better seats.

I found that the engine, while crisp and sharp, isn't exactly correct.  Since that does bother me somewhat, I plan to replace that engine.  I "think" I'm going to use the Eduard Brassin B-17 R-1820.  It is a pricy option but I do like that engine.

KH_T-28_Orig-vs-Eduard_Engine_4_Ruler_SM

The Eduard engine is slightly bigger in diameter.  41.5mm for the KH engine (that's without the added rocker boxes added) vs 43mm for the Eduard engine (that already has the rocker boxes).  I will be cleaning up the Eduard engine and testing it before I make a final decision.  I don't believe I will be opening up the cowling (but that might change).  

KH_T-28_Orig-vs-Eduard_Engine_5_SM_zpsqf

Regards

Steve

At 43 mm diameter, the Eduard engine is accurate (but the scale thickness of the cowling cannot be reproduced accurately in plastic, so the heads will have to be shaved off fo fit, most probably)

It looks better than the kit's part, but there is still room to get a better R-1820 IMHO ... At least, unlike the Vector representation, the cylinders are evenly distributed around the crankcase ;)

Will follow this build with interest :popcorn:

Hubert

Will watch with interest, whats the ID of the cowling?

Shawn, thats a good question..............and it's difficult to measure as it's in multiple pieces and still on the sprues.  What I did do, was fit the KH engine into the larger piece of cowl (the KH engine does have individual rocker covers that need to be installed (so they may be the same diameter of the ED engine)).  I fit the ED engine into that same piece of cowling and it's darn close.  If I elect to open the one side of cowl, then I probably would elect to shave (if needed) the inside portion only.  I really have to say Im in love with the ED engine as it has the spacers between cylinders already placed along with the proper spacing.  Fit of the exhaust pipes might be dicey.  

If I close the cowling, then it's a no brainer on shaving. 

I'm still playing with it and planning.  I will wait for the Eduard Zoom for the cockpits.  I will have to print my own decals for VT-2 or cut and paste from spare sheets.

Regards

Steve

More info on the inner diameter of the cowling.......can't be done yet, have to wait for a bit into the build.  I put it together with tape but it's 5 pieces and it's shaky.  With the ED engine inside, it would appear that it won't need to be shaved down any.  The KH exhaust parts fit like a champ.  I may have to adjust the length of the pipes fitting into the ED engine as I don't know just yet how that engine is going to sit in the KH cowling fore and aft wise.  The bulkheads are not going to be easy.  Will have to see if I use a modified ED firewall or use the KH firewall.  

I tried on the ID.......

Regards

Steve

KH_T-28_Engine_7_SM_zpsbapfk4fg.jpg

KH_T-28_Engine_6_SM_zpsfixxqkxs.jpg

Here is a pic of the best I can do with tape and the cowling.  The ED engine is in along with the KH head shield aft of the exhaust pipes.  Everything fits snugly.  I do not believe any shaving of rocker covers will be necessary.  I do believe that I will close the cowling due to issues with converting the ED shield.  The nose wheel well structure holds all the KH parts together well.  If I spend all that time on modifications, this whole thing will eventually go to the shelf of doom.  Keeping AMS to a minumum as I want to finish this one.

A photo of the taped up cowl with the ED engine and the KH heat shield.  A small spacer will be needed to mate the two but it will not be seen.  

KH_T-28_Engine_9_SM_zpsbatcodru.jpg

KH_T-28_Engine_8_SM_zpstin0jhvs.jpg

Here is a pic of the cowl along with the KH engine.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the KH at all.  I think with the accessories added it would be a credible engine.  I just want something more exact and Im willing to work for it.

Here is the KH engine "sitting" in the cowl.  The spacer between it and the heat shield isnt there.  

KH_T-28_Engine_10_SM_zpsb3kpeojz.jpg

Harvey, each engine of the Eduard engines for the HKM B-17 are different.  I believe each heat shield and exhaust tubing is different.  I didnt care which one I got as each engine itself is the same.  The KH exhausts work fine for the ED engine.  The heat shield would need a lot of modification to use.  Like I said....it's pricey....a bit more than the Vector but much easier to deal with. That is all MY opinion though.  I have the #2 engine.

Regards

Steve