P51H...............??

Jack

487mph - 50mph faster

600lbs lighter

2250 hp with war emergency power, up 500hp

Completely new design, hardly any common parts with D model. First Mustang to incorporate disc brakes.

P51H sent to Pacific before end of WW2 but did not see any combat.

Quite the little hot rod.

I am with Brian,  I think it's kinda strange looking. Kinda like the guy up the street with a big beer belly, big drinkers nose, all supported by stick legs and pants that are to short.

DSC_0624%20P-51H-5%20N551H%20left%20side

p51-4a.jpg

Well....IMHO the weirder and stranger...THE BETTER... :hmmm: :piliot:

I think that what makes the H really ugly in my opinion is the landing gear. In flight it's not so bad. But on the ground there's really something weird.

100% agreed. I think if it had gear as beefy and that much bigger, as the air-frame looks, it might not look so strange to my eye

There's a good reason for the slender undercarriage, do you notice that the wing leading edge is straight and doesn't kink out like the D model? BTW when this aircraft was being designed The designers and Joseph Smith ( who did all the late Spitfire/Spiteful development) were talking to each other. There were also F and G models as well.

Graham

100% agreed. I think if it had gear as beefy and that much bigger, as the air-frame looks, it might not look so strange to my eye

But the beefy U/C was the one for the D, and North American wanted to lighten the airframe, and found out that the big undercarriage was a bit of an overkill ... :)

Hubert