FINISHED: Spitfire IIa, P7834 RY:F, 313 (Czechoslovak) Sqn, 1941

MikeC

Some more progress, starting to come together.  Walkways sprayed (  :hmmm: perhaps a bit thick, but I can live with it):

WP_20160405_14_53_31_Small_zps3wrcgbwc.j

Yellow masked and sprayed:

WP_20160405_16_36_11_Small_zpsapcnwtue.j

And off comes the masking:

WP_20160406_16_41_09_Small_zpssi7b8xsc.j

I sprayed some gloss last night, so today it's ....

DECAL time :thumbsup:

One of my favourite parts, because that's when the model on the bench starts to look something like the one that's been in my head since I thought of doing the subject - at least in theory.

As ever, comments and constructive criticism appreciated.

Edited by MikeC

I like the subtle variation in tone that you've achieved Mike, so much better than a solid block of colour. Personally, as I've probably said before, I hate the decalling stage! I understand the final realisation of the envisaged model but it's a time that's fraught with danger in my inept hands which is why I prefer spraying roundels etc and now applying stencils. Good luck old chap!! :)

Max

Thanks for the kind words Gents.  Making some progress - using the kit decals for national markings, and they really don't want to leave the safety of their nice cosy decal sheet, they need a long soak. 

Pics when I've got something substantive to show.

Good luck using the kit decals Mike. If you're successful perhaps you could share your technique as I've had very poor results with any and all Tamiya decals in the past no matter what agents I've used on them.

Your paint finish looks most professional.

... I'm very much a note maker ...  Saves ending up with models like my Tamiya 1:48 Beaufighter, where the gunsight has been removed for maintenance, ie I forgot to fit it before adding the canopy.

I wish I hadn't written about that particular example: guess what's going to be undergoing maintenance in the equipment bay, and therefore not present on the aircraft?  Got it in one!  The wretched gunsight fell into the depths of the fuselage while I was fitting it, and it's wedged somewhere as it's not rattling.  A quick hunt shows I've no suitable adaptable spare items, but perhaps another check later. 

On the home straight now, pics later ...

Edited by MikeC

I wish I hadn't written about that particular example: guess what's going to be undergoing maintenance in the equipment bay, and therefore not present on the aircraft?  Got it in one!  The wretched gunsight fell into the depths of the fuselage while I was fitting it, and it's wedged somewhere as it's not rattling.  A quick hunt shows I've no suitable adaptable spare items, but perhaps another check later. 

On the home straight now, pics later ...

God I hate it when that happens, unfortunately it happens quite a bit and I have to get creative.

Cheers

Dennis

Funny that......the b****y oil pump that is sooooo difficult to fit on my Spit is going to be scratch built and resting on the wing, well it failed and needed replacing didn't it!

Max

Thanks all, good to know I'm not alone, even though in an ideal world these things wouldn't happen to any of us!

Anyway, I've managed to scratch up a replacement - not 100% accurate, but should pass muster, it just needs the reflector glass to be added.

WP_20160411_20_07_42_Pro_zpstrwwgg3n.jpg

I hope I'm not tempting fate by saying that the next shots should be the completed model - just a few little bits and bobs to do now such as add the prop, touch up the aerial paint, etc  etc.

Thanks Max & Kev.

A little more to do, mostly touching up a bit of paint here and there, but she's about finished.  I'll do some proper "beauty shots" later, but in the meantime a couple of very quick rough phone shots:

WP_20160412_14_48_07_Pro_zpsd1ofv2eq.jpg

WP_20160412_14_48_18_Pro_zpszddwkk6v.jpg