Tamiya 1/32 F-15E, any glitches?

Eli Raphael

Bunker Buster release or the original? 

Regardless of which release, you'll want to put those Mk. 20 Rockeye's in the parts stash as they're not used (to my knowledge) on the mudhen.  If you've got the bunker buster release you can use the updated fuel bags but ditch the original one as it still comes in the kit.  You may want to add a shimmy damper to the nose wheel strut oleo too.  Overall, it's a really good kit but depending upon how detailed you want to be, you can replace the cockpit with a resin aftermarket set but it's not really needed.  Rubber tires are good on this guy.  The exhaust CD nozzles are too long so you might want to replace them but I'm not aware of any aftermarket replacements currently available.  Somebody may know of some.  Since most of the jets have the -221 engines (if memory serves....and if it doesn't then oops :doh: )you will need to add those intake scoops on the CFT's.  I've long since forgotten what  they're for but they're very visible and quite large (as far as air scoops are concerned).  Hope this gets you started.  There may be some more tweaks and there may even be a tweak list here someplace.  :piliot:

AMS? I dont think Harold ever released anything for the Eagle. You must mean GT.

I have one which is 95% finished. I used the Avionix cockpit (not bad but not impressive as well, and good scratch-building skills can do as good result i guess), some Wolfpack corrective/additional parts (especially useful for up to date missile lauchers), some Eduard PE sets and the flightpath PE engine. Honnestly, i think the resin parts from Gary (GT resin) are better, cheaper and way easier to work with. Actually it's a PITA to build, and it's not that accurate (the petals are too long, and some parts look flat). I still have to finish the engines as i have to mix the Flightpath parts, some Eduard parts, kit parts and some home-made parts. I have a F-15C in the stash and i'll definitely use resine engines from GT for this one.

For the ammunitions, i grabed a GBU-12 from an Academy kit, and the rest is from the kit.

If it can help :

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=47075&page=1

Edited by Zero77

You're right, it's not the easiest Tamiya kit. However, it's not awful either, it may just need a few improvement is you want to build a recent version as it is from the 90's and the depicted version is from the Operation Desert Storm era.

The best modern jet kit in my opinion is without any doubt the Tamiya F-16.

As soon as I'm done with my B Phantom conversion, with some very outstanding decals I picked up by the way, I'm jumping on a pair of F-15's. I'm combining a C and a D kit and swapping parts to build a C with the CFT's and converting the D into an B and painting it like the Bicentennial bird from 1976.

The C will be the Cold War Iceland birds that chased the Soviet bombers around in the sky. I will have to get me some custom Bicentennial logos made for the tails though.

Edited by ScottsGT